Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
India
Hello All,

"...A great idea to get children out of the house is to find out how they can help in your local community.
Perhaps there is a home for the elderly nearby.They are sure to welcome a visit from young people..."

What is the meaning of "get children out of house"?
Which of the following is correct?
1 out /ˈaʊt/ adverb
— used to say that a person or thing is beyond the range or limits of something
Try to stay out of the sun.We went inside to get out of the rain.

Or

http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/get

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
To encourage them to leave the house and go and do something outdoors or somewhere else.

If I want to get my children out of the house, I send them to the local shop to buy a few things, telling them that they can buy themselves something nice too.

nininaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
India
To encourage them to leave the house and go and do something outdoors or somewhere else.

If I want to get my children out of the house, I send them to the local shop to buy a few things, telling them that they can buy themselves something nice too.

Really thanks for your help.But how could you know it means "encourage"?! I just want to know the source of this explanations because I don't want to memorize
I actually want to know more and understand different meaning of verb deeply to be able to use on different situations.
I can't find the "encourage" meaning of the verb on the following link:
Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
How do I know that's what it means? Because that is how we use it! I could have said "entice" or "force" too. Remember that words and phrases can have multiple meanings depending on context.

To get my children out of the house, I bribe them with sweets. (encourage, make)
I need to get this snake out of my house before it bites me. (I need to remove it, or arrange for its removal)
I hope the cat can get out of the box OK. (exit, leave)

nininaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
India
How do I know that's what it means? Because that is how we use it! I could have said "entice" or "force" too. Remember that words and phrases can have multiple meanings depending on context.

To get my children out of the house, I bribe them with sweets. (encourage, make)
I need to get this snake out of my house before it bites me. (I need to remove it, or arrange for its removal)
I hope the cat can get out of the box OK. (exit, leave)

Thanks.I think the following is correct:[transitive not in passive]to persuade or force someone to do something
get somebody to do something:We couldn't get him to sign the agreement.
Get children out of the house is to find ...

Last edited:

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thanks.I think the following is correct:
5make somebody do something[transitive not in passive] to persuade or force someone to do something
get somebody to do something
k8YNnhP3ZAzIwC3aAA
We couldn't get him to sign the agreement.
Get children out of the house is to find ...

Hello, nininaz.:-D
It's a different construction from the one used in the original sentence.
I suggest you take the expression ('get something/somebody out of something') literally first.

nininaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
India
Hello, nininaz.:-D
It's a different construction from the one used in the original sentence.
I suggest you take the expression ('get something/somebody out of something') literally first.

For expression 'get something/somebody out of something' I could only find the following which doesn't make sense :
3Help somebody escapeget somebody out: to help someone leave a place or escape from a place:It's important to get these people out as soon as possible.
get somebody out of:We knew it was going to be difficult to get him out of the country.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I understand your confusion.
As the dictionary shows, 'get somebody out of something' can be used in the sense of 'help somebody escape', but it is not the only meaning the expression conveys.
'We knew it was going to be difficult to get him out of the country' could mean 'We knew it was going to be difficult to expel him from the country.' in the right context.

(Edit) Please forgive (and correct) me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

nininaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
India
I understand your confusion.
As the dictionary shows, 'get somebody out of something' can be used in the sense of 'help somebody escape', but it is not the only meaning the expression conveys.
'We knew it was going to be difficult to get him out of the country' could mean 'We knew it was going to be difficult to expel him from the country.' in the right context.

Thanks a lot.
But I think it is not as difficult as to use force and expel to persuade children out of the house.
I think using persuade or make is more appropriate in the following situation:
A great idea to get children out of the house is to find out ...

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I agree with emsr2d2's opinions in post #2 and #4.:-D

nininaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
India
I agree with emsr2d2's opinions in post #2 and #4.:-D
I am agreed with him as well.I just want to find the closest meaning in the dictionary.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I [strike]am agreed[/strike] agree with [strike]him[/strike] her as well. I just want to find the closest meaning in the dictionary.

Please see my amendments to your post above in red. Don't just assume that all volunteers here are male. If you don't know which sex someone is, say "him/her". For your info, I (emsr2d2) am female.

Status
Not open for further replies.