Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi guys,

What to say if we want God to do something for us. Do we need to say "May god teach you a lesson or God, may his work gets completed in time".

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"God" is capitalized as a proper name. You seem to use lower-case for many proper names. This is not the same as "a god" but refers to the entity that believers in a monotheistic religion call by this name.

If you want God to do something for you, there are many things you can say, but your second suggestion is not a natural one and your first one sounds like you want God to do something bad to someone else. Not a great thing to ask God to do for you.

Also, remember that you should punctuate your question as follows:
Do we need to say "May god teach you a lesson" or "god, may his work gets completed in time".

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Please read Barb's last sentence a few times until you understand the point, tufguy. I've demonstrated the correct technique before to you. Whatever occurs between quotations marks should make sense. You can't put two or three choices there - you have to separate them, and put them within their own quotes. Is it "A" or "B"? NOT is it "A or B"?

Last edited:

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Ok I bear it in nind next time. "May God helps him" is not natural, can't be used.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Please read Barb's last sentence a few times until you understand the point, tufguy. I've demonstrated the correct technique before to you. Whatever occurs between quotations marks should make sense. You can't put two or three choices there - you have to separate them, and put them within their own quotes. Is it "A" or "B"? NOT is it "A or B"?

I compliment you on your patience, Raymott, but tufguy has a history of ignoring such advice. I guarantee that he will continue to go his own sweet way and keep getting it wrong.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ok I bear it in nind next time. "May God helps him" is not natural, can't be used.

We have also told you several times that it's either "okay" (all lower case" or "OK" (upper case) but not "Ok".

"nind" is not a word. It is underlined in red which means it was underlined in red when you typed it. That is an indication that it is incorrect.

Your final sentence is a statement, not a question. Did you mean it to be a question? If so, it should read "Is 'May God helps him' not natural? Can it not be used?" If it was not a question, then it should read "'May God helps him' is not natural and cannot be used."

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I compliment you on your patience, Raymott, but tufguy has a history of ignoring such advice. I guarantee that he will continue to go his own sweet way and keep getting it wrong.
My replies to tufguy (and everyone else usually) always take into account that other learners are following the thread. If posters are not challenged occasionally on their chronic errors, other learners might get the idea that such errors are acceptable. If tufguy does benefit, that's a bonus.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Sorry guys, for my stupidity.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No-one suggested stupidity. However, we have all noticed that you sometimes completely ignore our advice even after we have given you the same advice multiple times. You simply need to take more time and be more careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.