Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Could someone explain what's the difference between 'as long as' and 'so long as'? Or there's no difference between them?? Thanks!

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I find them similar, and would venture to say that "as long as" is AmE, while "so long as" is more common in BrE.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"As long as" is very natural/common in BrE.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think "as long as" is more common in AmE, but "so long as" is used.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Summer:

Some books say that some speakers (and especially writers) like to reserve "as ... as" for positive statements and "so .. as" for negative statements.

1. I am as tall as George.
2. I am not, however, so tall as Tony.

3. You may stay with us as long as you wish.
4. Aunt Mona stayed with us for one month. But you did not stay with us so long as she did. Why?

There is a theory. I do not know how accurate it is.

The idea is that native speakers are so accustomed to hearing "as ... as" for positive sentences that some speakers / writers thought that by using "so ...as," they would be emphasizing the negative to our listeners / readers.

Whenever I have time to think, I try to say sentence #2. (But in hurried conversation, I have no doubt that I would forget to use "so" -- because most people here in the United States use "as" for both positive and negative statements. And that is what I have heard all my life.)

James

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That is a theory I have never come across. I don't differentiate between positive and negative statements or questions as far as the use of "as ... as" is concerned.

You can stay here as long as you like.
She didn't stay here as long as you did.
I am as tall as my father.
I am not as tall as my father.

However, the use of "as ... as" is not the issue here. The issue is the difference (or not) between "as long as" and "so long as" meaning "provided that".

As long as you do your homework, you can go out and play with your friends.
So long as you do your homework, you can go out and play with your friends.

Those two mean the same thing and are probably used equally. I don't know if there are specific variants of English which use one over the other.

Summer2014

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Wow! Thank you all for your input! I am new to this forum but have learned a lot here!! :)

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Your appreciation is welcome, Summer, but there is no need to write a new post to say Thank you. Simply click the Thank button on any posts you find helpful. It means that we don't have to open the thread again to read your new post and then find that it doesn't include any new information or an additional question. It saves everybody's time.

Two more things: 'Wow!' needs the exclamation mark, but your next two sentences only need full stops (periods). Please use the :) icon to insert a smiley.​

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Some books say that some speakers (and especially writers) like to reserve "as ... as" for positive statements and "so .. as" for negative statements.

I think it's more a question of frequency than a rule- so did, apparently, appear more commonly in negative sentences, but I don't think that this meant that the forms were divided in this way- it just meant that so didn't appear as frequently in positive sentences so some extracted this rule, but as appeared in both, making it one that didn't reflect the reality IMO. However, so is used less nowadays, so I think there is even less in the claim nowadays.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.