Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Do "I won" and "I win" mean the same? Are both of those used to state someone who's won a game? Does that have anything to do with timing, like "right after the game" or "a while after the game" or "a long time after the game"?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Won" is past tense and "win" is present "tense". The verb follows the normal tense rules. Try making two or three sentences using each tense.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
But yes, in the seconds after you win, you can say "I win!"

Five minutes later/20 years later, you must say "I won" when referring to the same contest.

bakaaki

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
"Won" is past tense and "win" is present "tense". The verb follows the normal tense rules. Try making two or three sentences using each tense.
I know for sure that that is "past" and "present". I'm just confused because I've heard somewhere people say "I win" after the contest/game has finished, so technically the "win action" must be in the past, but still they say "I win".

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As Barb said, if your utterance is closely related in time to the victory, you can use either tense. After that, only the past works. Let's say we are playing cribbage and after I count my hand, I hit 121 points. At that moment I can say "I win". When describing the game later, I would say "I won".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Two children are playing dominoes. At the instant that one of them wins, she leaps up to her feet, skips round the room, smiling and singing/shouting "I win, I win, I win. You lose!"

An adult, hearing the noise, comes into the room, sees that the game is over and says "Who won?" The girl happily shouts "I did" or "I won!" while the other child dejectedly says "She won".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I know for sure that that is "past" and "present". I'm just confused because I've heard somewhere people say "I win" after the contest/game has finished, so technically the "win action" must be in the past, but still they say "I win".

It may technically be in the past, but they are enjoying the moment and using the present helps make it feel that it is their moment of victory now. We can be flexible about time- this is about the joy of winning rather than where the second hand is on the clock. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.