How to pronounce "don't" and "and" in actual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanquanagtk

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
In movies or news. I can't hear how people say "don't" and "and", eespecially in sentences "why don't you...". Could any one explain me how to speak them, please. Beside, is my title for this post is suitable with english gramar, I don't know whether i should use "in real" or "in actual".Thanks

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In movies or news, I can't hear how people say "don't" and "and", especially in sentences like "Why don't you...?". Could [strike]any one[/strike] anyone/someone explain to me how to [strike]speak[/strike] pronounce them, please.

[strike]Beside[/strike] Also, is my title for this post [strike]is[/strike] [strike]suitable with English grammar[/strike] grammatically correct? I don't know whether I should use "in real" or "in actual". Thanks.

Please see my amendments to your post above in red.

Do you think we pronounce "don't" differently specifically in "Why don't you ...?" If so, you might be right to a certain extent. It probably sounds like "Why d-oh-n-choo". (I don't do phonetic symbols.)

You did not give an example of when/why you can't hear how people say "and" - your second example.

Both "in real" and "in actual" are incorrect. You could say "in real life".

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I would like to recommend a book to you on Accent and Recieved pronuncialtion [...] This will be very helpful and would have all the answers to your questions .
If it teaches RP, I don't think it would have the answers to the OP's questions. It would not help much if it were an American movie that he was watching, and would not explain the whys and wherefores of variations in the pronunciation of 'don't' and 'and' - which cover quite a range from 'd' and 'n' upwards.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You'd think the author of a book on received pronunciation would be able to spell it right.

vanquanagtk

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
In the film "Blood and chocolate", the main actress said :"It's not gonna taste any better with you standing there watching me ","Why don't you go sell something for a change", I can't here clearly the underlined words, could anyone tell me how they were pronounced.Thanks

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We can't possibly tell you how the actress pronounced them without being able to watch a video clip of her speaking those lines.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
About don't:

In very casual spoken American English, we often say doncha for don't you.

- Doncha love me, honey?
- Why doncha give it a rest?

It's a long o, the same as in don't.

We also often say gonna for going to and wanna for want to.

- Your gonna wanna be there.

Be careful! None of those are correct standard American English, you would never write those phrases that way. An exception: Song lyrics, like "I Wanna Hold Your Hand."

About and:

Also in very casual spoken American English, we drop the d from and. Sometimes we drop the a, too.

- This 'n' that.
- Here 'n' there.
There are a few exceptions. For example, rock 'n' roll is correct standard American English.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
PS -

And many Americans say "Dunno" for "I don't know." (The accent is on the o.)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You will find these forms used in the UK too.

Status
Not open for further replies.