[Grammar] What are the comparative and superlative forms of the word top?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evicka

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hello,
Could you please help me. What are the comparative and superlative forms of the word - adjective top?
Thank you
Eva

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome to the forum. :hi:

"Topmost" is the superlative. There is no comparative with the word "top" in. We would use "higher" or "higher-ranking" or something similar depending on the context and the thing which is being described.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

The word 'topmost' does contain 'top' but can we really call it the superlative of 'top'? Isn't it just another synonym of 'highest'?

By definition, 'top' as an adjective already means the highest. You can't get higher than the top step, and how do you find the button beyond the top one if you want to undo it?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You can have, for example, a team of top politicians. They are all at the same level within their own departments - at the top. However, within their team, one of them is probably in charge. He/she would be the topmost member of the team.

That's not a great example but at the moment I can't think of a better one!

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

That's a nice try, but I'm unconvinced. ;-)

They can't be more at the top within their own departments than they already are, and then there is a new hierachy within the team (which is a separate issue).

I think it's just the ungradable nature of the word that precludes it from having a meaningful superlative or comparative.

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The meaning of top is not always completely clear. Sometimes it means "different from the bottom". Sometimes it means "superior". I don't use the word often, but it useful in some contexts.

Squirrels often compete for the top branches of a tree. Does this mean "highest" or "advantageous" in some other sense.
Squirrels often compete for the topmost branches of a tree. This is more clear.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks Mike. Yes, for me, the top branches of a tree are any of the ones above the middle so some are more "top" than others! I would use "topmost" or "highest" to specify the ones right at the very top.

Status
Not open for further replies.