• Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

Exclamation I called people about ads in the paper

Hello,
    What is the meaning of following sentence in BOLD:

"... I learned that communication was more important than accuracy.As soon as I arrived France I realized I didn't know how to order
    the type of coffee I liked, and trying to find accommodation was a nightmare.
    I called people about ads in the paper, but I had to keep putting the phone down because I couldn't understand a word they was saying - they all speak so quickly..."

Could you please tell me in which dictionary I could look up the definition of ads,called about something , and put something down?!
    Last edited by nininaz; 16-Jul-2014 at 18:21.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: I called people about ads in the paper

"Ads" are advertisements. In AmE, we call them "ads." In BrE, they call them "adverts."

You put the phone down in order to disconnect, to hang up. In the old days, phones had cradles with a little button inside the cradle. When you picked the phone up, it released the switch, giving you a "dial tone" and allowing you to place a call. To end the call, you put the phone back down, into the cradle, pressing the switch to disconnect the phone from the call.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    "Ads" are advertisements. In AmE, we call them "ads." In BrE, they call them "adverts."

You put the phone down in order to disconnect, to hang up. In the old days, phones had cradles with a little button inside the cradle. When you picked the phone up, it released the switch, giving you a "dial tone" and allowing you to place a call. To end the call, you put the phone back down, into the cradle, pressing the switch to disconnect the phone from the call.
    Thanks so much for your reply. I want to know what is the meaning of " I called people about ads in the paper"?
    I looked up in dictionary and 'ad' means the advertisement I didn't know ads means advertisement

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by nininaz View Post
    Thanks so much for your reply. I want to know what is the meaning of " I called people about ads in the paper"?
    I looked up in dictionary and 'ad' means the advertisement I didn't know ads means advertisement
    "Ad" is short for "advertisement." "Ads" is just the plural of "ad."

She called people about something from an ad. It's not clear. Maybe she was looking for a job or an apartment or a used car. Who knows? The point is that she could not speak the language well enough to have conversations on the phone with natives.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    "Ad" is short for "advertisement." "Ads" is just the plural of "ad."

She called people about something from an ad. It's not clear. Maybe she was looking for a job or an apartment or a used car. Who knows? The point is that she could not speak the language well enough to have conversations on the phone with natives.
    Really thanks for your great patience while replying posts.
    I got it. "Called" here means made a phone call. I assumed that it means call people's name , so that didn't make sense.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by nininaz View Post
    Really thanks for your great patience while replying posts.
    I got it. "Called" here means made a phone call. I assumed that it means call people's name , so that didn't make sense.
    You're welcome. You'll do better if you assume "call" means a phone call, unless context leads you to think otherwise.