Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hello everyone,

I just graduated from university and I can't make up my mind if I should apply for CELTA or TEFL. From what I've gathered, CELTA is a much more intense and expensive course and money is definitely an issue here (~2.5k vs 1k). I'm looking to teach English in Korea asap but with the little experience that I have, I doubt anyone would hire me. If anyone could give me some advice on this matter, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't have any experience in Korea but if you want to teach in Europe at all, CELTA seems to be the way to go. When I taught in Madrid, I was lucky - the schools and academies were not demanding CELTAs. Since I left, I understand that most of the schools/academies will not consider you at all unless you have a CELTA and a degree. If you are certain you want to make a career out of teaching English, I would invest in the CELTA.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
TEFL is not the name of a specific qualification or course- many different courses use the term - it just means Teaching English as a Foreign Language - so it's hard to say whether the course you're looking at is any good. CELTA is a widely accepted entry-level qualification.

Status
Not open for further replies.