English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
Ireland
Hello,
I have to teach a four hour long lesson on Monday with only a 15 minute break with the same class. Im struggling to think of how I'm going to keep the students awake! I don't know if I should cover two topics in each class or one?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I would cover more than one topic- forget the students, you'll have trouble staying awake for four hours on one topic.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would aim to cover two to four topics in four hours. I would aim for maybe a really fun topic with lots of interaction, followed by a more serious technical section, then the 15-minute break, then come back with another fun section. I would make the last half an hour or so a fairly casual, loose general section where the students can suggest a topic for discussion.

Teaching English Games

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
France
I totally agree to break it down into four separate lessons since that is less intimidating to prepare for if nothing else, plus it's more interesting for the students to have greater variety.

1. For example do a 55 minute lesson introducing new vocab and grammar using games. This is intense learning, hence putting it first, since the drill game require a maximum of concentration.
2. You might then switch to working for 55 minutes on three video clips, or a song.
3. Now you might do a creative writing task.
4. And finish with a skit or role-play. Also fun are big quizzes the class each write a few questions for. Quiz games can be on grammar, on vocabulary, on general knowlege. Vary your quizz format so it's not always the same. You might have grammar board games you could use.

In this book you get everything you need for this type of activity: http://www.amazon.co.uk/ESL-Classroom-Activities-Teens-Adults/dp/1478213795/

Status
Not open for further replies.