[Grammar] Using "verb+ ing" following "to" , example:-Committed to boosting ties

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Using "verb+ ing" following "to" , example:-Committed to boosting ties

Dear members, I have always heard that we should use only 1st form of a verb whenever a verb follows "to" but in the following case, verb is used with "ing" instead of first form.

Is this an exception for some verbs or is it a special rule ?

sentence 1:-Committed to boosting ties, Modi tells Putin.

sentence 2:-Hailing Russia as “our country’s greatest friend,” Prime Minister Narendra Modi told Russian President Vladimir Putin that India was committed to deepening ties and cooperation between the two countries.

please help me understand this thing.

reference:-
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/committed-to-boosting-ties-modi-tells-putin/article6219180.ece

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: Using "verb+ ing" following "to" , example:-Committed to boosting ties

Your rule is not stated correctly. When "to" is the particle that introduces an infinitive, the base form of the verb is always used. But "to" can also be a preposition. In that case, the rule does not apply.

In your first sentence, "boosting" is a gerund (noun) that is the object of the preposition "to".
In your second sentence, "deepening" is also a gerund which acts as the object of the preposition.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

Dear sir ,
Thank you for your prompt reply.
You identified the use of "to" very easily but it was rather difficult for me.Could you please put some more light on :-how to identify that in which sense "to" is used in a sentence.
Otherwise please guide me to a reference where I can learn in detail about the same.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Well, in this case, it was easy because the base form of the verb did not follow "to". The context of the sentence will usually differentiate the two uses of "to". I suggest you try Google for more information.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

You can be committed to something or to doing something- to is preposition that accompanies the word committed. To be honest, this isn't very common or easy to spot, so using a dictionary will help in such cases.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Prime Minister Narendra Modi told Russian President Vladimir Putin that India was committed to deepening ties and cooperation between the two countries.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, S.D.:

You are right: that little word "to" is very confusing.

I like to eat ice cream.
I llike to study grammar.
I like to watch television.

The infinitive is actually the words "eat," "study," and "watch." As MikeNewYork reminded us, another term is the base form. And you use the term lst form.

Just remember that the "to" in those sentences has one job: to introduce the infinitive. If you say, "I like study grammar," everyone will understand you. but it is not considered "good" English.

(When you study more English, you will learn that SOMETIMES it is NOT necessary to use "to" to introduce the infinitive. For example: Mona made him clean his room.)

Sometimes, however, "to" has a different job:

I go to school.
He walks to the kitdhen.
She threw the ball to him.

This time, as MikeNewYork and Tdol reminded us, we call it a preposition.

After a preposition, we need a noun (like "school" or "kitchen") or a pronoun (like "him.").

Look at your sentence:

"India is committed to deepening ties."

Have you studied GERUNDS yet? Well, they are words ending in -ing. They can do the job of a verb AND a noun. It IS very, very confusing.

a. "Deepening" is a verb in your sentence. What is India committed to? To deepen ties with Russia.
b. "Deepening" is also a noun in your sentence. What is India committed to? Deeper ties with Russia.

James

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Well, we use different terminology, but that happens. In my world, a word cannot be both a noun and verb in one sentence/clause. However, it can be a noun and a verbal (a gerund). Or it can be an adjective/adverb and a verbal (participle).

Status
Not open for further replies.