English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Australia
Hi guys

There is an issue I'm slightly confused about: why are conjunctive adverbs sometimes used between a semi colon and the next clause? The fact that you are using a semi colon indicates the relation between the two so surely a conjunctive advers is not needed. I see why you would use one if there was no semi colon but as explained above is it necessary ?

Also, is it really necessary to use a comma after a conjunctive adverb in either situation or in general (see last part of sentence above)?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Click here to read about semicolons followed by conjunctive adverbs.

Fyer

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Australia
Click here to read about semicolons followed by conjunctive adverbs.

Thanks for the link!

Perhaps I didn't explain correctly: what I meant was why use a conjunctive adverb and a semi colon? If you are going to use a conjunctive adverb to join two clauses then just start a new sentence. I can see the use of both but using a semi colon with a conjunctive adverb just seems to make things a bit too "busy".

In regards to one of the examples on the link, the one that uses "nevertheless" to reference his determination, to be honest I'm not sure if I would use any commas at all. If I was to use one it would be after nevertheless but it seems there is no need to use it before...

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Conjunctive adverbs cannot connect two clauses with a comma. Either a semicolon or a period/full stop is needed. In my opinion, a semicolon implies a more direct connection between two clauses than does a period/full stop. But either method works.

Status
Not open for further replies.