Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
Slovenian
Home Country
Slovenia
Current Location
Slovenia
I want to create a website with soccer/football oriented content. I want to name the website Football Den or Soccer Den and have a domain name something like this: www.footballden.com / www.soccerden.com. The problem is I'm not a native english speaker so I'm not sure whether this sounds right to one. I see people using the word "den" with an article and a possesive like "the pirate's den" or with a preposition like "den of pirates". Am I OK calling my website Football Den or Soccer Den?

My second question is, which of these two would be a better choice? Soccer Den sounds and looks better to me but I'm not sure if people would rather see it called Football Den. I don't want the word soccer to be a red flag for potential visitors, especially british people.

Thank you.

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
[Not a teacher]

Leaving aside the inclusion of “den” or any other word or expression in your future domain, and without elaborating on historical origin of one or the other, I assume you know that the terms “soccer” and “football” have a differente meaning depending on the location.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I can't imagine why you think using the word "soccer" would alienate British people. If you're talking about "soccer" (which admittedly in the UK is generally referred to as "football") then it would be perfect for British users of your website.

What would be annoying to British users would be if you called it "football den" and then, when we visited, we discovered it was all about gridiron (American football).

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I can't imagine why you think using the word "soccer" would alienate British people.

In comments on pages about football, soccer is often treated with disdain as a word. The sport is football in BrE, so calling it soccer will make you seem an outsider IMO. (I'm not a great football/soccer fan)

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What would be annoying to British users would be if you called it "football den" and then, when we visited, we discovered it was all about gridiron (American football).

Or the other way around. A person looking for information on (American) football discovering a bunch of stuff about soccer.

It seems to me that calling it "soccer" would clarify what the content was for everyone who speaks English.

Status
Not open for further replies.