• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Portugal
      • Current Location:
      • Portugal

(sort of a ) Business Technical Term...?

I know I should be looking for this in a Dictionary, and I did (in many actually) but I can not seem to find the answer, as it seems easier and faster to ask it to a person instead of a book...or even Google.

How do you call in english to a person who is responsible for buying?
    I.e., you're in a company and there is the accountant, the guy who is responsible for IT, the guy who is responsible for the commercial department (usually called the sales manager)...but how do you refer to the guy who is responsible for (not selling) but buying (you know, raw materials or stock supply for example)?

I'm tempted to call it a Buying Manager, but I'm really not sure about this...

Another question: how about the guy responsible for the Financial department?

Final question:
    In portuguese, and in this context, we tend to use the term "Responsavel" (meaning Responsible) to designate someone who is hierarchically above but not necessarily on the top of something (in this case the company department). Is there any word in english that fits this? Maybe just superior (even though it's not the case of "my superior did this")?

Thank you once again
    hierarchically
    hierarquicamente In Infopédia [Em linha]. Porto: Porto Editora, 2003-2014. [Consult. 2014-07-21].
    Disponível na www: <URL: http://www.infopedia.pt/portugues-in...erarquicamente>.
    hierarchically
    hierarquicamente In Infopédia [Em linha]. Porto: Porto Editora, 2003-2014. [Consult. 2014-07-21].
    Disponível na www: <URL: http://www.infopedia.pt/portugues-in...erarquicamente>.

hierarchically

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: (sort of a ) Business Technical Term...?

Generally (in retail at least) they are the "Buyer". If there is more than one at different levels they might be the "Head Buyer" or "Assistant Buyer". There might be different terms in different industries.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Portugal
      • Current Location:
      • Portugal

Yes, I think "Head Buyer" will fit like a glove. While "Buyer" would be the one who bought, and "Assistant Buyer" sounds like another buyer who 'signs' the purchase, "Head Buyer" sounds more like the upper buyer in the piramyd and that's what I am looking for.

Thanks!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Note the correct spelling of pyrami​d.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

In manufacturing in the US, we have purchasing agents who deal with vendors and issue purchase orders, etc.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

In department stores, we have buyers.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • France

I am not a teacher.

@jodp. Your English seems very good so please allow me to point out something. The word English takes an initial capital letter, as does Portuguese. The word 'dictionary' doesn't. Given the apparent level of your English, you must know this. Or am I wrong?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by jodp View Post
    Final question:
    In portuguese, and in this context, we tend to use the term "Responsavel" (meaning Responsible) to designate someone who is hierarchically above but not necessarily on the top of something (in this case the company department). Is there any word in english that fits this? Maybe just superior (even though it's not the case of "my superior did this")?

Thank you once again
    >.
    Jodp,
    Unrelated questions should be addressed in separate posts.
    "Responsible" is not used as a noun in English. You could say that he is "the person responsible for Department X" or "the person responsible" for a specific function in that department. It could be the supervisor, manager, chief, section head, etc. It could also be a lower-level staff member, such as a clerk, or any other functionary who is responsible for specific tasks.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 22-Jul-2014 at 22:15. Reason: Removed unnecessary extra line breaks in quote box