Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hey,

Here is the sentence: You are not required to follow the rules but are OTHERWISE in conformity with culture.

Does "otherwise" mean in another way in this case?

Thanks,

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The sentence doesn't make sense to me.

Where did you find it? Please quote the source, as you have been asked to do before.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Nevertheless" would make more sense.

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I am not sure but I think that ZOEYW didn't find the sentence. Perhaps he is trying to translate it from its native language into English. If so, he should provide some additional information on the meaning he is trying to convey.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't understand how someone can refuse to follow the rules and still be in conformity with a culture, unless "the rules" refers to a minor set of specific rules.

Last edited:
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
ZOEYW, instead of thanking me for the post, please tell us what you are trying to say in the sentence.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't understand how someone can refuse to follow the rules and still be in conformity with a culture, unless "the rules" refers to a minor set of specific rules.

It doesn't say "refuse." It says "not required." The boss' kid may not be required to follow the rules in his summer job at the office, but may choose to do so anyway.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That doesn't seem to be applicable to "culture".

ZOEYW

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Guys,

Thanks for all your replies! The original sentence was written by my friend and he asked me whether that was correct or not regarding the word"otherwise". I guess what he is trying to say is sometimes our tradition/culture might not be parallel to laws/rules designed by authorities/government. Thus, following rules might not be required; however in some circumstances, obeying culture things are mandatory.

Last edited:

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Do you mean in your nation you may be not required to follow the laws/rules made by the authorities/governments?

ZOEYW

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am sorry. Did I mention anything about the nation in this case? I thought this was a place for learning English only. Do I still have to explain something about my country/family before questioning each time?
Do you mean in your nation you may be not required to follow the laws/rules made by the authorities/governments?

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello, ZOEYW.:-D
Yes, this is a place for learning English.
Please understand that we are only trying our best to help you.
:-D

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I am sorry. Did I mention anything about the nation in this case? I thought this was a place for learning English only. Do I still have to explain something about my country/family before questioning each time?
I am sorry. I did not expect you would take offence at my mentioning your nation.

Not a teacher.

Polyester

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
This is a forum for discussing English language. Not a battle.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't see anyone making this into a battle except you. When we are asked about a question, context is very important. In this case, the nation/culture is part of that context. If you don't wish to answer, that is fine. But the questions were appropriate.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Back to the question:
"You are not required to follow the rules [STRIKE]but [/STRIKE] as long as you are OTHERWISE in conformity with culture."
That is a grammatical sentence.
In Australia, the opposite would apply - as long as you follow the rules (the law), you do not have to conform to culture.

ZOEYW

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you were asked such question, how could you reply? Also, I do not see any relationship between the culture and this question. As far as the so called context, as I mentioned, this is a question raised by my friend. Just it. It might be from his own writing or somewhere else. I have no idea. Moreover, I cannot understand how the appropriate question as you said might be helpful to answer my question. Thanks.
I don't see anyone making this into a battle except you. When we are asked about a question, context is very important. In this case, the nation/culture is part of that context. If you don't wish to answer, that is fine. But the questions were appropriate.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Because there was no LOGIC to the original statement and for us to help you figure out how to write it correctly, we had to have some sort of a clue about what was actually meant. We made the ridiculous assumption that you wanted something that made semantic sense as well as being grammatical. How foolish we were.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.