1. B45

I heard about that horrible shark attack at the beach by where we live, but because

I heard about that horrible shark attack at the beach by where we live, but because I've/I had been overseas for the like three weeks, and I hadn't had/haven't had any contact with friends and relatives back home, so I wasn't sure if it was true.

Are both useable here? What would a native use? I've heard both by native speakers, unless, I misheard.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: I heard about that horrible shark attack at the beach by where we live, but becau

"for the like three weeks" is incorrect.

3. B45

Re: I heard about that horrible shark attack at the beach by where we live, but becau

I heard about that horrible shark attack at the beach by where we live, but because I've/I had been overseas for the last three weeks, and I hadn't had/haven't had any contact with friends and relatives back home, so I wasn't sure if it was true.

Which pair is correct?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

They would both be OK with either "because" or "so". With both they are incorrect.

5. B45

So leave out the because or so in the sentence?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Batman45 View Post
    So leave out the because or so in the sentence?
    Yes. Use one or the other, but not both.

(Interestingly, just yesterday I got into a Facebook discussion on the use of XOR to mean "one or the other but not both." "Use 'because' xor 'so.'")
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

7. B45

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Yes. Use one or the other, but not both.

(Interestingly, just yesterday I got into a Facebook discussion on the use of XOR to mean "one or the other but not both." "Use 'because' xor 'so.'")
    Like this:

I heard about that horrible shark attack at the beach by where we live, but I've/I had been overseas for the last three weeks, and I hadn't had/haven't had any contact with friends and relatives back home, so I wasn't sure if it was true.

Or

I heard about that horrible shark attack at the beach by where we live, but because I've/I had been overseas for the last three weeks, and I hadn't had/haven't had any contact with friends and relatives back home, I wasn't sure if it was true.

So one or the other?

Can someone please explain to me why both verb tenses are okay in these examples?