Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Which word is better to use for a university practical English lesson (neither a lecture, nor a seminar) which lasts an hour and a half?

After the second (period, class etc) we normally go to the cafeteria.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
What about a double period?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How is it the second? The second day that you have this 1.5 hour class? Is the 1.5 hour class divided into two periods?

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

Do you mean that a normal period lasts 45 minutes? If that is the case then the second half of a double period would be the second period. However, 'period' is really for school, not university. I'd say tutorial or class depending on what it actually is.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
How is it the second? The second day that you have this 1.5 hour class? Is the 1.5 hour class divided into two periods?

On the contrary - it's an 1.5 hour non-stop class. In my language we call it "para" (which literally means a pair (a class consisting of two 45 min classes without a break). It's a slang word for an 1.5 hour class. So we often need to say something like this I have my first "pair" free today or Let's meet in the hall after the second (third etc) "pair". I need some word to be used instead of this pair.

Lectures and seminars are also "pairs" in my language. The "content" of the "pair" doesn't matter at all.

Last edited:

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Do you mean that a normal period lasts 45 minutes? If that is the case then the second half of a double period would be the second period. However, 'period' is really for school, not university. I'd say tutorial or class depending on what it actually is.

I am looking for some word to describe a 1.5 hour class which consists o two 45 min lessons, but lasts without a break (in a university). We call it "a pair" in my language, it's just a very long lesson. I suggested "a double period" because it is actually "a pair of periods" in time. But I 'd like to know some better word for it. We often say (in my language):
In our first "pair" we had English (Literature).
We have a long break after the second "pair" (= a long lesson of 45+45 min)

This devision of the "pair" in two lessons is just nominal. Lectures and seminars are also "pairs" in my language. The "content" of the "pair" doesn't matter at all. So, can I use tutorial instead of the "pair" in the above sentences? ("After the second tutorial (= lecture/seminar/some other type of lesson... etc) we'll meet in the hall) For example, if two students from different groups have three "pairs" today (one has a seminar and two lectures, the other has English (a practical lesson - a tutorial?, a seminar and a lecture) and they want to meet, they don't need to say Let's meet after the seminar and a lecture. Instead they may say Let's meet in the yard after the second pair.

So "a pair" is a very general word used for ALL types of classes.

Last edited:

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Now I see that I failed to explain it properly in the beginning. Thank you for the word tutorial, it's very useful to me as well, but I was actually looking for some word to call ANY lesson in general, no matter what sort of lesson it is (it can be a tutorial, a lecture or a seminar).

I need some word that could be used instead of the "pair" I described above. I think I 'd better start a new thread (this one helped me too).

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Surely the cover-all term "class" covers tutorials, lectures, seminars etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.