A general word for a lecture, a seminar, a tutorial etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
In my language we call it a pair (at university). It's a slang word for an 1.5 hour class (without a break) which can be anything - a lecture, a seminar, a PE lesson, a tutorial, only its length matters, not its content.

Our university students and staff often say something like this:

Let's meet after the second pair (= after a 45+45 min class, this division is nominal) in the hall.

Is there some word in English that could be used instead of the "pair" in this particular sentence?
:-? :?:

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
That doesn't make sense to me. If the 1.5 hour class is a "pair", then the second pair is another class of 1.5 hours.
Your intention seems to be to meet after the "pair". You can't have a second pair without two pairs.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Can 'the second half' be used?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In my language we call it a pair (at university). It's a slang word for an 1.5 hour class (without a break) which can be anything - a lecture, a seminar, a PE lesson, a tutorial, only its length matters, not its content.
I think we can conclude that no such equivalent word exists in English.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I'd call it a double period.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I would too, and I wouldn't use the idea of second- I'd just say Let's meet after the double lesson/period.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I would too, and I wouldn't use the idea of second- I'd just say Let's meet after the double lesson/period.

Thank you, I think the double period is the best way to describe it. I am a bit puzzled that no one understands what "the second pair" is. I should have written "the third pair" or "the fourth pair", perhaps then there would be less confusion with it.

A "pair" is a lesson in a Russian university (just a longer one than in a school).
I have found an example (coincidentally, about a Russian school):

At 9:15 a.m., the bell rings in Eastern Languages School ​No. 4, signaling the end of the first period.<...>
After the third period, the seniors arrive in the cafeteria, and unlike the younger pupils, they empty their plates completely.<...>
Lunch time comes immediately after the fourth period. <...>
“We even have a snack bar,” said school Director, Irina Gorlova. “But it only opens after the fifth period, when lunch has almost ended...

Source: Russia Beyond the Headlines - http://rbth.co.uk/society/2014/05/1...ia_revolution_gets_kids_tucking_in_36719.html)

Can't I substitute "a period" in the above extract with "a double period" ("a pair") in relation to university? Don't English universities have a time schedule of "lessons"? In schools there are periods, while at universities there are "double periods", so, if you go somewhere after the third (first, second, or fourth) period when you are at school, why can't you go somewhere after the third (first, second, or fourth) double period at university? :shock::-?

In my example would it be unusual for a native speakker if I say "Let's meet after the third double period, I need to talk to you"? What would English students say in a similar situation? :?:

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
At the college I attended, classes held on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays started on the hour and lasted 50 minutes. So a three-credit class would meet three days a week for (about) an hour.

Classes held on Tuesdays and Thursdays lasted an hour and 20 minutes, so a three-credit class would meet twice a week, about the same time as a M/W/F class.

Evening classes were three-hour blocks (and the professor decided when there would be a break), so a three-credit class could be taken that way too.

Your schedule might have three classes that meet M/W/F and one that meets T/Th. But you wouldn't call them "periods." "I have O Chem at 9, Shakespeare at 11 and then Linear Algebra at 2."

No one would ever say "let's meet after the second class on Tuesday." They'd say "let's meet at noon" or "let's meet after your 9 am class finished up."

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thank you,Barb_D, now it's clear to me that the difference lies in the system itself. Our universities are kind of "stricter" as far as the timetable is concerned - the schedule is just as in a school, only the "periods" are longer. All the classes in Russian universities begin according to the schedule which is the same for all (there are some minor exceptions).

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Bhai's suggestion of "double period" seems to provide the answer you requested.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I am a bit puzzled that no one understands what "the second pair" is. I should have written "the third pair" or "the fourth pair", perhaps then there would be less confusion with it.
The problem is that you are calling one of these classes a "pair", and then dividing it into a first pair and a second pair. It doesn't matter if you use "double period", you still can't say "Let's meet after the second double period" if you mean after the second half of the double period.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A pair is two of the same thing. You said that a "pair" is a 1.5 hour class. Therefore, the "end of the second pair" would have to be at the end of the second lot of 1.5 hours - ie after 3 hours.

"After the first pair" = "After 1.5 hours".
After the second pair = After 3 hours
After the third pair = After 4.5 hours

If all the "pairs" run at regular, standard times of day then it could just about work.

Pair 1 = 9am to 10.30am
Pair 2 = 10.30am to 12 noon.
Pair 3 = 1pm to 2.30pm
Pair 4 = 2.30pm to 4pm.

If that were the case, then people whose study times follow the same pattern would probably understand "Let's meet after the second pair" as "Let's meet after Pair 2" or "Let's meet at 12 noon". Is that what you were trying to say?

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
A pair is two of the same thing. You said that a "pair" is a 1.5 hour class. Therefore, the "end of the second pair" would have to be at the end of the second lot of 1.5 hours - ie after 3 hours.

If all the "pairs" run at regular, standard times of day then it could just about work.

Pair 1 = 9am to 10.30am
Pair 3 = 1pm to 2.30pm
Pair 4 = 2.30pm to 4pm.

If that were the case, then people whose study times follow the same pattern would probably understand "Let's meet after the second pair" as "Let's meet after Pair 2" or "Let's meet at 12 noon". Is that what you were trying to say?
Exactly! Hurray! Hurray! :lol:

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
The problem is that you are calling one of these classes a "pair", and then dividing it into a first pair and a second pair. It doesn't matter if you use "double period", you still can't say "Let's meet after the second double period" if you mean after the second half of the double period.

What I meant was the following:

Pair 1 = 9am to 10.30am
Pair 3 = 1pm to 2.30pm
Pair 4 = 2.30pm to 4pm.

If that were the case, then people whose study times follow the same pattern would probably understand "Let's meet after the second pair" as "Let's meet after Pair 2" or "Let's meet at 12 noon".

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Ah, I understand now. When you said:
"Let's meet after the second pair (= after a 45+45 min class, this division is nominal) in the hall" you meant:
"Let's meet after the second pair (= after the second 45+45 min class ..."

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Ah, I understand now. When you said:
"Let's meet after the second pair (= after a 45+45 min class, this division is nominal) in the hall" you meant:
"Let's meet after the second pair (= after the second 45+45 min class ..."

Yes. :) You could say it after the first pair. ;-)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.