Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Could you name a one-word synonym for the word giving? Is it generous? He is a (generous? ........... ) person.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
To me, 'bounteous' doesn't work for people. What's wrong with just "He is a giving person"? 'Generous' is also OK.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Do you mean 'a bounteous person' doesn't make sense?

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
To me, 'bounteous' doesn't work for people. What's wrong with just "He is a giving person"? 'Generous' is also OK.
There is nothing wrong with it. I am just making an exercise for my students and I need a synonym.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It can make sense in the right context. But it sounds literary. It's not colloquial.
"... the warm, the comfortable house; and, lastly, a fair portion of that bounteous mother, whose flowing breasts yield redundant sustenance for all her numerous offspring ..." (The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling by Fielding, Henry)
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/bounteous
'Bounteous' tends to mean unconsciously giving, as in the above example from the 1700s.
But some use it, as I see from Google; the first page seems to be mainly by non-native writers. But here's an example from Twitter.
.;/@justinbieber - your a very bounteous person but to me u you've been acting mysterious lately do u agree?be the most EPIC person....ans

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"Lavish" isn't normally used for persons either.
If a couple puts on a lavish, bounteous dinner for friends, you could describe them as bounteous and lavish. But you'd normally use the terms for the dinner, not the people.
The dictionary you quote has this:
"He was always lavish in his praise of my efforts." Even though this says "He was always lavish" from which one could infer that "He is a lavish person", this is an illusion, a misreading. It is his praise which is lavish. He acted lavishly in his praise. In other aspects of life, he may be niggardly.

Status
Not open for further replies.