Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hi Guys, Can somebody clarify me when I should use "reason being" and when "reason is" ? I don't understand this..

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi guys. Can somebody clarify for me when I should use "reason being" and when "reason is"? I don't understand this.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Please see my corrections to your post above in red. There was no need to capitalise "guys". Don't put a space before a closing punctuation mark.

We don't do all the work here. Please write some complete sentences using "reason being" and "reason is" and then we will comment.

mikaxx

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I am sorry, my english is not so good. I am still learning. I found on elllo webpage a conversation when was use "the reason being"

"I think I would prefer a dog over a cat and the reason being, cats make me sneeze, and they make my eyes itch, whereas dogs I'm not too allergic too" and I don't know why in this sentence is used "reason being" not reason is. I don't understand it. Because I would use in this sentence "reason is" instead of "reason being"...

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Please see my corrections to your post above in red. There was no need to capitalise "guys". Don't put a space before a closing punctuation mark.

We don't do all the work here. Please write some complete sentences using "reason being" and "reason is" and then we will comment.

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
I am sorry, my [STRIKE]e[/STRIKE]English is not so good.
***NOT A TEACHER***

Please capitalize the "e" in "English."

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
"I think I would prefer a dog over a cat and the reason being, cats make me sneeze, and they make my eyes itch, whereas dogs I'm not too allergic too"

Hello.:-D
I would say "(I think) I would prefer dogs over/to cats, the reason being that [...]" (I'd delete 'and' because it's a 'participial construction'.)
or "(I think) I would prefer dogs over/to cats. The reason is that [...]".
I wouldn't use "The reason being that [...]".
I don't think 'dogs I'm not too allergic too" part makes any sense.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would delete "and".

I prefer dogs to cats - the reason being that cats make me sneeze and make my eyes itch but I'm not allergic to dogs.

mikaxx

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I would delete "and".

I prefer dogs to cats - the reason being that cats make me sneeze and make my eyes itch but I'm not allergic to dogs.

Thank you for answers. So I see that in this sentence I can use "the reason being" and "the reason is" and both will be correct?

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
May I say 'The reason is that [...]' is a standalone sentence while 'the reason being that [...]' is a phrase being part of a sentence?

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
May I say 'The reason is that [...]' is a standalone sentence while 'the reason being that [...]' is a phrase being part of a sentence?

Hello, Matthew.:-D
Yes.
(I think 'the reason being that [...]' part is called a 'participle clause'.)

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: ...which is why answers #5 and #6 precede 'the reason being' with some kind of punctuation (", ", "-") that represents a pause. 'The reason being' can't start a sentence. (I regret that I have even heard the atrocious 'The reason being is that...').

b

Status
Not open for further replies.