[General] How to write a title as it sounds keeping the multiple meaning of a homophone latent

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottWilmot

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
As a visual artist, I often have working titles in my mind that I hear as spoken. I often wish I could write the title and keep the multiple meaning of homophones. Is it possible to write words that sound the same that are spelt differently in such a way that maintains the ambiguity of the audible?

Hope this hasn't been asked before.

I thank you for any help offered.

cheers,

Scott Bennett

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Do you mean something like calling your medical first aid supplies company "There, they're, their"? I'm not sure I've got the gist of what you're trying to do.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Is it possible to write words that sound the same that are spelt differently in such a way that maintains the ambiguity of the audible?

In most cases, I would say that this is not possible, except for clumsy methods like here/hear.

ScottWilmot

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thank you for your reply.

I'll give an example. A title as It sounds might be "Bell Weather" but I'm interested
in multiple meanings, such as bellwether, belle or weather or bell whether.
As a landscape in sheep country, the title verbalised, contains several meanings based on language alone.

A wether (A castrated ram), bellwether (A trend) or the sheep with a bell around its neck leading the flock.
Or beautiful (Belle) weather.

If I spell it a particular way it loses the mystery of the spoken word that contains some ambiguity.

Perhaps there needs to be an new punctuation invented that indicates that a word 'marked-up' in this way is just a sound,
not its particular meaning. That is, it can mean any of the words that sound the same!

cheers,

Scott

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Visual puns exist (like a hair salon called "Curl up and Dye") but it's a deliberate pun, not multiple meanings. (Unless you cross Sweeney Todd with a hair stylist, maybe.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's unfortunate that your example meant absolutely nothing to me (not being from "sheep country"!) If I saw a title which read "Bell Weather", I would be baffled as to its meaning. If it was "Belle Weather" I still wouldn't know what it was about but I would assume there was a reason for combining English and French in the name.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The multiple meanings that you're interested in may not work- I could work out more than one meaning from Bell Weather, but there's no guarantee that all meanings will be readily understood- many will stop at 2 IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.