• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

How to write a title as it sounds keeping the multiple meaning of a homophone latent

As a visual artist, I often have working titles in my mind that I hear as spoken. I often wish I could write the title and keep the multiple meaning of homophones. Is it possible to write words that sound the same that are spelt differently in such a way that maintains the ambiguity of the audible?

Hope this hasn't been asked before.

I thank you for any help offered.

cheers,

Scott Bennett
    Last edited by ScottWilmot; 28-Jul-2014 at 12:00. Reason: typo

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: How to write a title as it sounds keeping the multiple meaning of a homophone lat

Do you mean something like calling your medical first aid supplies company "There, they're, their"? I'm not sure I've got the gist of what you're trying to do.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: How to write a title as it sounds keeping the multiple meaning of a homophone lat

Quote Originally Posted by ScottWilmot View Post
    Is it possible to write words that sound the same that are spelt differently in such a way that maintains the ambiguity of the audible?
    In most cases, I would say that this is not possible, except for clumsy methods like here/hear.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Thank you for your reply.

I'll give an example. A title as It sounds might be "Bell Weather" but I'm interested
    in multiple meanings, such as bellwether, belle or weather or bell whether.
    As a landscape in sheep country, the title verbalised, contains several meanings based on language alone.

A wether (A castrated ram), bellwether (A trend) or the sheep with a bell around its neck leading the flock.
    Or beautiful (Belle) weather.

If I spell it a particular way it loses the mystery of the spoken word that contains some ambiguity.

Perhaps there needs to be an new punctuation invented that indicates that a word 'marked-up' in this way is just a sound,
    not its particular meaning. That is, it can mean any of the words that sound the same!

cheers,

Scott

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Visual puns exist (like a hair salon called "Curl up and Dye") but it's a deliberate pun, not multiple meanings. (Unless you cross Sweeney Todd with a hair stylist, maybe.)
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

It's unfortunate that your example meant absolutely nothing to me (not being from "sheep country"!) If I saw a title which read "Bell Weather", I would be baffled as to its meaning. If it was "Belle Weather" I still wouldn't know what it was about but I would assume there was a reason for combining English and French in the name.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

The multiple meanings that you're interested in may not work- I could work out more than one meaning from Bell Weather, but there's no guarantee that all meanings will be readily understood- many will stop at 2 IMO.