Results 1 to 10 of 10
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 425
    #1

    Tell it

    I know that "I will tell it to you" is an idiomatic way to say but what about "I will tell it you." Is it acceptable?

  1. Odessa Dawn's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Saudi Arabia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia

    • Join Date: Aug 2012
    • Posts: 1,616
    #2

    Re: Tell it

    ***NOT A TEACHER***
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotfor View Post
    I know that "I will tell it to you" is an idiomatic way to say, but what about "I will tell it you"? Is it acceptable?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 425
    #3

    Re: Tell it

    Quote Originally Posted by Odessa Dawn View Post
    ***NOT A TEACHER***
    Nitpicking is not answering.

  2. Grumpy's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 972
    #4

    Re: Tell it

    Quote Originally Posted by Kotfor View Post
    I know that "I will tell it to you" is an idiomatic way to say but what about "I will tell it you." Is it acceptable?
    No. You might also say "I will tell you about it", or simply, "I will tell you".
    I'm not a teacher of English, but I have spoken it for (almost) all of my life....

  3. charliedeut's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Oct 2009
    • Posts: 5,560
    #5

    Re: Tell it

    Quote Originally Posted by Kotfor View Post
    Nitpicking is not answering.
    But it is providing help. In this case, helping you finish the sentence with the missing question mark. Note that Odessa is not a native speaker of English. Maybe Odessa did not know the answer, or did not want to risk giving you one that was wrong, but spotted your mistake (or slip of the finger).

    Writing properly is encouraged here, as you already know. That includes (among other things) correct capitalization and punctuation.

    My suggestion: if it bothers you to be corrected, please ignore such posts in the future. Answering as you did is, in my opinion, inelegant.
    Please be aware that I'm neither a native English speaker nor a teacher.

  4. Roman55's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Feb 2014
    • Posts: 2,309
    #6

    Re: Tell it

    I am not a teacher.

    'I will tell it you' and 'I will give it you' and other similar constructions are not standard English, but they do appear in certain local variants.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 425
    #7

    Re: Tell it

    Quote Originally Posted by charliedeut View Post
    But it is providing help. In this case, helping you finish the sentence with the missing question mark. Note that Odessa is not a native speaker of English. Maybe Odessa did not know the answer, or did not want to risk giving you one that was wrong, but spotted your mistake (or slip of the finger).

    Writing properly is encouraged here, as you already know. That includes (among other things) correct capitalization and punctuation.

    My suggestion: if it bothers you to be corrected, please ignore such posts in the future. Answering as you did is, in my opinion, inelegant.
    I prefer to be corrected by those who address my questions and not by those who want to show off. Others answered much better.

  5. tzfujimino's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Dec 2007
    • Posts: 2,696
    #8

    Re: Tell it

    Quote Originally Posted by Kotfor View Post
    I prefer to be corrected by those who address my questions and not by those who want to show off. Others answered much better.
    Hello, Kotfor.
    I'm sure Odessa Dawn didn't mean to hurt your feelings.
    OD is quite good at spotting punctuation/capitalization mistakes.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,845
    #9

    Re: Tell it

    I'd say the form is OK in spoken colloquial English because the form is used in many regions. I would recommend writing it or using it in any formal context.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kotfor View Post
    I prefer to be corrected by those who address my questions and not by those who want to show off. Others answered much better.
    Many people want their mistakes to be pointed out. How was OD to know that you'd react like that?

  6. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,830
    #10

    Re: Tell it

    Quote Originally Posted by Kotfor View Post
    I prefer to be corrected by those who address my questions and not by those who want to show off. Others answered much better.
    No-one is showing off. We correct all mistakes here, whether they are with capitalisation and punctuation or with grammar, vocabulary and construction. You will get a range of answers from lots of different people. I suggest that you accept the help and advice in the spirit in which it was given.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •