Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: refrigerator

    • Join Date: Mar 2005
    • Posts: 114


    Could anyone so kind explain the major parts of a refrigerator or concepts in relation to refrigerator? How to say the part for freezing food and the other part just keeping the food cool? And does anyone know the various names for a refrigerator? Thanks!


  1. Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Feb 2005
    • Posts: 2,585

    Re: refrigerator

    Hello Emily

    In British English, most people call it a "fridge".

    A large chest for long-term freezing is called a "freezer". This is often a separate item, and may be kept in a garage or somewhere away from the kitchen.

    A "fridge freezer" consists of a large freezer with an ordinary fridge on top.

    An ordinary fridge may have a small compartment for storing a limited amount of frozen produce e.g. peas, small pieces of meat, etc. This is called either a "freezer" or an "icebox".

    I don't think there's a special term for the main body of the fridge. It's simply the fridge ("I'll put the milk in the fridge", etc.).

    See you,


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts