• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Penalty takers are under such pressure to score, they've failed ... the flaw

Hello all users!

This small but statistically significant pattern could be enough to win shootouts. But so far the goalkeepers have been lucky. Penalty takers are under such pressure to score, they've failed to notice and take advantage of the flaw.

I would like to ask you if the sentence in italics is abbreviated, especially the bolded fragment in italics.

Does the sentence really mean "Penalty takers are under such pressure to score that they've failed to notice and take advantage of the flaw"?

or

"Penalty takers want - because of pressure from the audience - to score goals so much that they've failed to notice and take advantage of the flaw"?

Could the abbreviated form of the sentence in question be written as "Penalty takers are under such pressure to score they've failed to notice and take advantage of the flaw (without "that" and the preceding "comma")?

Thank you.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/le...lkeepers.shtml
    Last edited by JACEK1; 01-Aug-2014 at 21:57.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: Penalty takers are under such pressure to score, they've failed ... the flaw

I can't see anything bolded or italicised.

I'd need to know what 'This small but significant pattern' refers to.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Re: Penalty takers are under such pressure to score, they've failed ... the flaw

Please look at my corrected thread again.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Please do not make any more changes to the original post. (That kind of thing can be confusing.)

I do have a couple of questions/comments. First, I do not know how a pattern can be small. Also, can you explain what flaw is being referred to?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

not a teacher

This relates to a recently publicized theory which suggests that in penalty shootouts goalkeepers tend to react in a certain pattern, rather than randomly, kick-by-kick.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-28582630
    The OP's quote is saying that, so far, goalkeepers have been lucky that the penalty takers are under so much pressure that they have failed to notice this pattern, and have therefore not taken advantage of it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

I understand that "that" in the structure "such ..... that" can be omitted but why is a comma placed instead?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by JMurray View Post
    not a teacher

This relates to a recently publicized theory which suggests that in penalty shootouts goalkeepers tend to react in a certain pattern, rather than randomly, kick-by-kick.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-28582630
    The OP's quote is saying that, so far, goalkeepers have been lucky that the penalty takers are under so much pressure that they have failed to notice this pattern, and have therefore not taken advantage of it.
    So, those who take penalty kicks have failed to notice the habits of the goalkeepers, so they have been unable to take advantage of them.