Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I went to a customer’s office and gave some documents to the customer for signature. Usually my boss deals with the customer. This was the first time I met him.

When I came into his office, I said ‘Hello’ and explained why I was late. When I present the documents for his signature, he said ‘You can speak very English?’. I said “No,No” with an embarrassing smile. Then he asked me to explain something regarding the documents.

I think I have no difficulty in communicating in English with foreigners. But I don’t think I can speak very good English. In the above case, how do I say in response with ‘You can speak very English?’

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"You can speak very English" is not at all grammatical.

You can speak very good English.
You can speak English very well.

NOT: you can speak very English.

You can simply say "I'm still learning" or "Thank you. I am trying very hard to speak it well."
There are a number of ways you can respond.

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
"You can speak very English" is not at all grammatical.

You can speak very good English.
You can speak English very well.

NOT: you can speak very English.

You can simply say "I'm still learning" or "Thank you. I am trying very hard to speak it well."
There are a number of ways you can respond.

If I say "No,No” with an embarrassing smile.", does it mean that my spoken English is not good in the eyes of native speakers.

In Chinese culture, some Chinese would say "no" with a smile like the following case.

Mother A: Your son is very smart. He is always the top in his school. (This is the fact)
Mother B: "No,No, sometimes he does"

Could you give me some more ways to respond?

Last edited:

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
If I say "No,No” with an embarrassing smile.", does it mean that my spoken English is not good in the eyes of native speakers.

In Chinese culture, some Chinese would say "no" with a smile like the following case.

Mother A: Your son is very smart. He is the top in his school. (This is the fact)
Mother B: "No,No. Sometimes"

Could you give me some more ways to respond?

Hello, Winwin.:-D
We often use that kind of "No, no..." in Japanese, too.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Barb's response is an attempt to tell you that anyone asking you "do you speak very English?" is someone with poor skills in English.

Your questions about how to answer in a humble manner are really a separate issue. If a true native speaker (i.e. NOT someone who says "you speak very English") compliments you, just accept it. You don't have to verbally downgrade yourself.

English-speaking culture can understand someone who tries to deflect praise, but we do not, as a rule, expect people to act more humble than they are.

LeTyan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Barb's response is an attempt to tell you that anyone asking you "do you speak very English?" is someone with poor skills in English.

Your questions about how to answer in a humble manner are really a separate issue. If a true native speaker (i.e. NOT someone who says "you speak very English") compliments you, just accept it. You don't have to verbally downgrade yourself.

English-speaking culture can understand someone who tries to deflect praise, but we do not, as a rule, expect people to act more humble than they are.

Is it common for people to act humble in American culture? For example: "Wow! looks like you are really good at this!" "hum....I guess I just got lucky." Is it common?

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Mother A: Your son is very smart. He is always the top in his school. (This is the fact)
Mother B: "No,No, sometimes he does"
Is it better to say 'No, no, he is just sometimes so'?

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong

Thanks SoothingDave

Please note that " "you speak very English" is a typo. It should be "You can speak very good English?" The speaker is an American native speaker

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is it common for people to act humble in American culture? For example: "Wow! looks like you are really good at this!" "hum....I guess I just got lucky." Is it common?

Yes, humbleness is appropriate at certain times. It is not, in my experience, as common as it is in some Asian cultures.

A false humility, and the pointing out of one's own humility on social media, like Twitter, has caused the creation of the term "humblebrag."

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=humblebrag

It is a complicated subject, to be sure.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks SoothingDave

Please note that " "you speak very English" is a typo. It should be "You can speak very good English?" The speaker is an American native speaker

Then I would probably interpret his words as genuine. The fact that he followed the compliment with a desire to continue the conversation and have you explain things further shows that he meant what he said.

If he said "your English is very good" and then quickly showed you the door, then you would have a better reason to doubt his words were genuine.

The fact that he basically ignored your humbleness and asked you to explain more, in English, shows his true feelings.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Either is grammatical. The verb "to act" can substitute for "to be". Therefore, it can be a linking verb.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Over the years, I have learnt to accept compliments with a simple "Thank you". There's no need to disagree with the speaker, there's no need to be modest or humble. Equally, there's no need to be boastful and agree wholeheartedly with their compliment. Just say "Thank you".

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Over the years, I have learnt to accept compliments with a simple "Thank you". There's no need to disagree with the speaker, there's no need to be modest or humble. Equally, there's no need to be boastful and agree wholeheartedly with their compliment. Just say "Thank you".

Thanks ems.

It seems that the American wanted to ask if I can speak very good English. How do I say in response to this question? I think I have no difficulty in communicating in English with native speakers. I don't think I can speak very good English.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks ems.

It seems that the American wanted to ask if I can speak very good English. How do I say in response to this question? I think I have no difficulty in communicating in English with native speakers. I don't think I can speak very good English.
He was making a statement. He was not asking a question.

If you have no difficulty communications with native speakers, then you obviously speak the language well. Why deny it?

As Ems said, just say "thank you." If you really don't like that, then say "that's kind of you to say so."

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

What do I say in response to "You speak very good English"?

I went to a customer’s office and gave some documents to the customer for a signature. Usually my boss deals with the customer. This was the first time I met him.

When I went into his office, I said hello and explained why I was late. When I presented the documents for his signature, he said ‘You can speak very good English. I said “No, no” with an embarrassed smile. Then he asked me to explain something regarding the documents.

I think I have no difficulty in communicating in English with foreigners. But I don’t think I can speak very good English. In the above case, what do I say in response?

Say "Thank you!"

I know a lot of musicians, and it's surprising how many of them don't know how to accept compliments about their playing. Some are embarrassed, some are confused, and some are insulted.

Again, a thank-you is all that's needed. In most English-speaking cultures, those compliments are simply a way being friendly.

Last edited:

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
'What do I say in response to "You speak very good English"?'

1. How do you say "you're welcome" in response to "Thank you" in French?
2. What do you say "you're welcome" in response to "Thank you" in French?

Which of the above sentences is correct?

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When you want to know the foreign-languge version of a phrase which you already know in one language, then it's:

How do you say "I'm very tired" in German?
How do you say "cat" in French?
How do you say "nos vemos" in English?

If you want to be told the specific words to use in a particular situation in a particular language, then it's:

What do you say in response to "Thank you?" in English?
What do you say when someone says "How are you?"

Status
Not open for further replies.