Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What does this "settle in for" mean?

34.I got into a lot of trouble mind-reading my girlfriend. When we first started dating, I made a lot of assumptions about what Anne would or wouldn’t like without asking what she really wanted, and then acted as if what I assumed was a fact. For example, once I got tickets for a concert that I “knew” she’d want to go to, but she had to go out of town that weekend. Another time, I “knew” she’d want to take a
study break during exam week, so I got a pizza and stopped by. She was really irritated because she had eaten early and was settled in for a heavy review session. I finally realized I should ___________________. We’ve gotten along a lot
better since I figured that out

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It has the meaning of "prepared for".

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
The first synonym (may not be it, strictly speaking) that popped in my mind was 'focused' (on a heavy review session).

Disclaimer: Not a native speaker, nor a teacher. Have been living in USA for 2 years.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Settling means getting comfortable. Think of a bed or a nest or a hammock. When you settle into your bed, you probably don't want to get up again. We often say something like:

- "I don't want to go out. I'm settled in for the evening."

That's how your writer is using it. She's surrounded by her books and notes and doesn't want to be disturbed.

It can also be used this way: "Once we've settled into our new house, we'll invite you over to see it."

Hope that helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.