• Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

In the midst of something positive (?!)

Hi!

I'm currently writing a paper and I have a question about the usage of the expression "in the midst of". I wrote: "I hope to find out more about the challenges of rebuilding a city in the midst of a major industrial boom", but I realize now that I've rarely seen "in the midst of" associated with something positive. It's usually "in the midst of a crisis/war/breakup" or whatever. The dictionaries I've consulted don't mention any negative connotation to the expression, so I would love to have the input of native speakers/vocabulary experts.

Can something happen in the midst of something positive? And if not, what might be a better expression?

Thanks!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: In the midst of something positive (?!)

Quote Originally Posted by ellybelly View Post
    Hi!

I'm currently writing a paper and I have a question about the expression "in the midst of." I wrote: "I hope to find out more about the challenges of rebuilding a city in the midst of a major industrial boom," but I realize now that I've rarely seen "in the midst of" associated with something positive. It's usually "in the midst of a crisis/war/breakup" or whatever. The dictionaries I've consulted don't mention any negative connotation to the expression, so I would love to have the input of native speakers/vocabulary experts.

Can something happen in the midst of something positive? And if not, what might be a better expression?

Thanks!
    My native language is American English. Yes, you can use "in the midst of" something positive. It's a neutral expression. There is no positive or negative connotation. It's interesting that you've noticed it more with negative events. Maybe it's because people write more about bad events than good events.

You're welcome!