• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

doubled down

I read an article on the Net news VANITYFAIR'S HOLLYWOOD as written

Last week, Deputy Prime Minister Bulent Arinc gave a speechabout protecting the moral values of Turkey and concluded:“The woman should have chastity . . . She should not laugh in front of everyone and not be inviting in her behavior. She should protect her honor.” Arinc doubled down on his position,asking:
    Where are our girls, who slightly blush, lower their heads and turn their eyes away when we look at their face, becoming the symbol of chastity?

As you can imagine in the era of Turkish ladies did not take this statement lying down.
    Hundreds of women took to Twitter and other social-media sites to protest Arinc’s statement…

Question
    1. What does it mean by the phrase "doubled down on his position"?
    2. What does it mean by the phrase "take this statement lying down"?
    3. What does it mean by “#YesAllWomen”?
    Last edited by Ashiuhto; 05-Aug-2014 at 05:15.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: doubled down

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Ashiuhto:

1. "Double down" is a phrase that is being used a lot here in the United States.

a. One dictionary says that it means to increase your efforts or to focus even more on something.

i. My example: The police are doubling down on people who cross the street in the middle of the block. (That is, they are really, really going to look for people who do that and give them citations, or tickets. They will have to pay a big fine to the court. And maybe the police will even start warning people on TV not to "jaywalk.")

b. Therefore, in my opinion, that gentleman NOT ONLY said that ladies should refrain from laughing, but he ALSO went further: He claimed that there were no longer many "symbols of chastity." In other words, he double downed on the matter. (I understand that the phrase comes from the cardgame called Blackjack.)

2. "To NOT take something lying down" is easier to understand. It means that if you do not like something, then you are going to protest with words or even with action. In other words, you refuse to quietly and obediently accept something that displeases you.

a. In your example, it means that many young ladies in that country refused to keep silent after the gentleman made those remarks.

b. Here in the United States, for example, if your boss fires you (dismisses you from your job), some people do not take it lying down. They will go to court and tell the judge that the boss fired them because of their gender, religion, etc. (That is illegal in the United States.)

James
    Last edited by TheParser; 05-Aug-2014 at 10:21. Reason: I forgot a "not."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: doubled down

"Double down" comes from the game of Blackjack. The idea of the game is to beat the dealer by getting closer to 21 (without going over) than the dealer does. If a player gets two cards that add up to 10 or 11 and they feel that a ten or face card is probable, they may double down. They are allowed to double their initial bet but also agree to stand after only one more card. This expression in general use has become far too common, IMO.