Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Here's a fragment of a script (a woman is talking about her family). Why does she say "was four years older than me"? Is it just a slip of the tongue?
My mum’s name is Cathy and my dad is called John. My brother who was four years older than me is called David.

Last edited:

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
She should have said "is."

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Will it be correct if he is already dead?
No. In that case she would say that her brother "who was four years older ... was called..."

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I think that's an understandable sentence in speech. And context might make it even preferable. "My brother who was four years older than me ..." = "My brother was four years old when I was born."
"When I had my first birthday, my brother, who was four years older than me ..." Of course, he remains four years older. But when relating childhood stories, it's quite acceptable to say, "... and then my brother, who was four years older than me, frightened the dog away."
Also, once you both become adults, often the age difference doesn't matter at all for practical purposes. It is almost as if this state of having a four-year difference in age was only relevant in childhood.
This is not a grave 'is/was' error compared to some.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Remember: This is a script. It does not have to be grammatical! Lots of characters in plays and movies have bad grammar.

If we're concerned with the grammar, a trickier issue is "older than me" versus "older than I."

Older than me is not grammatical. But it's tempting to use because of the order of the words. Since we can say things like "Give it to me" and "If it were up to me," it's very easy to slip into "older than me." So almost every English speaker does it.

The grammatical choice is older than I. But that sounds stuffy, at least to most American ears. I think that educated British are likely use it, but most educated Americans avoid it. When we want to be grammatical, we might say: "older than I am." The am makes it sound more down-to-earth to Americans.

But we could be wrong. We were only born speaking English. The British have been speaking it for centuries!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Older than me is by far the most used form in the UK- there are some who still use than I, but they're a small minority.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the US "older than I" or "older than I am" is still very common.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
If we're concerned with the grammar, a trickier issue is "older than me" versus "older than I."

Older than me is not grammatical.

I am not a teacher.

This is an old chestnut.

It is not entirely correct to state that that is ungrammatical since the word 'than' is both a conjunction and a preposition.

In 'he is older than me' the subject is 'he' and it is arguable that 'than' is a preposition introducing the objective 'me'.

In 'he is older than I' the 'than' is a conjunction and is followed by the clause 'I am' which is reduced to 'I'.

Other than in very formal contexts it is far more common to hear 'older than me'. This is unlikely to raise an eyebrow anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.