Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Is it possible that "Give me a break!" is used in the sense of "Let me take a break (because I'm physically tired)", not in the sense of dissatisfaction or annoyance?

For example, a friend of yours is asking many questions to you and you are tired (You are neither annoyed or irritated. You are just tired. You are willing to answer more questions, but you just need a little rest.) If you say "Give me a break!", would the friend think you are annoyed?

I guess it depends on how you say it and your facial expression, but Japanese people often don't show our feelings by facial expression. If someone says this without expression, how would it sound?

Last edited:

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Mind that I am a non-native speaker of English

I think it will be rude anyway without any further comment (especially if you pronounce it the way you wrote it - with an excamation mark). You could say "Please give me a break. I'm so tired. I'll answer your questions a little later, OK?"

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Can 'allow me a break' be used to avoid confusion?

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I believe the idiom is fixed as "give me ("gimme" in non-standard English) a break". If the face shows no expression, the listener is most likely to feel offended. However, as usual, the right context (intonation, face expression, etc.) can make it sound relaxed, condescending, humorous...

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There is certainly a difference in tone and expression between simply saying "give me a break" (or, elaborating, "let me take a little break") and saying "Gimme a break!"

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is it possible that "Give me a break!" is used in the sense of "Let me take a break (because I'm physically tired)", not in the sense of dissatisfaction or annoyance?

No. "Give me a break!" and "Gimme a break!" have only one meaning, and it is never "May I please rest for a little while?"

It is not necessarily offensive. It is a lot like saying:

- "Be serious!"
- "You're kidding!"
- "Get real!"
- "You're pulling my leg!" (No, I can't explain that one.)

Hope that helps.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would not use "give me a break" there. How about, "Can we take a break? I'm very tired."

Status
Not open for further replies.