1. Jacques

What does "Lue" mean?

Hello usingenglish.com,
    Jacques here,
    I have recieved an official writing from a party that told me that I may send one document in lue of another.
    What is the exact meaning of "in lue of"? Is it just a fancy way of saying "instead of" or does it contain somekind of meaning that I need to take into consideration?
    I can't find "lue" in any english dictionary.
    I hope you can assist me, as I have asked several people about this - including english folk, and nobody seems to know.
    Thanks for reading,
    Bye.
    Jacques.

Re: What does "Lue" mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques
    Hello usingenglish.com,
    Jacques here,
    I have recieved an official writing from a party that told me that I may send one document in lue of another.
    What is the exact meaning of "in lue of"? Is it just a fancy way of saying "instead of" or does it contain somekind of meaning that I need to take into consideration?
    I can't find "lue" in any english dictionary.
    I hope you can assist me, as I have asked several people about this - including english folk, and nobody seems to know.
    Thanks for reading,
    Bye.
    Jacques.
    lieu

One entry found for lieu. Main Entry: lieu
    Pronunciation: 'lü
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English liue, from Old French lieu, from Latin locus -- more at STALL
    archaic : PLACE, STEAD
    - in lieu : INSTEAD
    - in lieu of : in the place of : instead of

Re: What does "Lue" mean?

Not only is "in lieu" in this case a pretentious synonym for "instead", but if it was really spelled "in lue", it was spelled incorrectly (my guess is the letter was dictated).

This ought to be a warning to all writers: don't use grand-sounding words unless you really know how to use them -- otherwise you may make yourself look illiterate.

Hmm. Maybe I should just quickly check my website...