• Start date
  • Views : 174,121
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jacques

Hello usingenglish.com,
Jacques here,
I have recieved an official writing from a party that told me that I may send one document in lue of another.
What is the exact meaning of "in lue of"? Is it just a fancy way of saying "instead of" or does it contain somekind of meaning that I need to take into consideration?
I can't find "lue" in any english dictionary.
I hope you can assist me, as I have asked several people about this - including english folk, and nobody seems to know.
Thanks for reading,
Bye.
Jacques.

twostep

Jacques said:
Hello usingenglish.com,
Jacques here,
I have recieved an official writing from a party that told me that I may send one document in lue of another.
What is the exact meaning of "in lue of"? Is it just a fancy way of saying "instead of" or does it contain somekind of meaning that I need to take into consideration?
I can't find "lue" in any english dictionary.
I hope you can assist me, as I have asked several people about this - including english folk, and nobody seems to know.
Thanks for reading,
Bye.
Jacques.
lieu

One entry found for lieu. Main Entry: lieu
Pronunciation: 'lü
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English liue, from Old French lieu, from Latin locus -- more at [SIZE=-1]STALL[/SIZE]
archaic : [SIZE=-1]PLACE[/SIZE], [SIZE=-1]STEAD[/SIZE]
- in lieu : [SIZE=-1]INSTEAD[/SIZE]
- in lieu of : in the place of : instead of

rewboss

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Not only is "in lieu" in this case a pretentious synonym for "instead", but if it was really spelled "in lue", it was spelled incorrectly (my guess is the letter was dictated).

This ought to be a warning to all writers: don't use grand-sounding words unless you really know how to use them -- otherwise you may make yourself look illiterate.

Hmm. Maybe I should just quickly check my website...

Status
Not open for further replies.