Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
Hi eveyone
I m new in this forum. I m an English student preparing to take the IELTS exam in the next few months.
I tried to answer some of the IELTS speaking part1 questions and I want you to correct them to me please.

1- What jobs do people in your town do?
Most people in my town work in the field of commerce, date production and the manufacture of carpets and traditioanl clothes.

2- how has your town changed over the last twenty years?
Acctually many changes has occured, to mention a few: growth in population which led to an intensive need of building a hundred of new houses and therefore exploiting new areas. another positive change could be the increase of the percentage of people who are getting educated...

3- Do you think it is better to live in the center of the town or outside in the country?
I couldn t understand this question well, I think it should ask about the difference between town and village for example.

I need your help please to correct my mistakes.
Thanks a lot in advance

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
1 Why not use growing dates?
2 A few mistakes. There's one in the first phrase, and you could tidy this up: growth in population which led to an intensive need of building
3 It's not just about the differences, but whether you think it's better. I like the countryside to visit and stay for a few days, but I would soon get bored if I lived there as I prefer city life.

nooryusuf

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
Thanks a lot Tdol for your help, I appreciate it.
2- Can I say: a big urge towards building new houses caused by a remarkable growth in population.
3- I understand what you mean, but my point is that I think there s a mistake in the question itself, it says: Do you think it is better to live in the center of the town or outside in the country?
I think they should remove in so that it means: outside the country, which is countyside. Center of the town or outside in the country are the same, no?
Thanks again and again

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No. "Outside the country" means away from the actual country/nation.

Outside the country, for me, means outside the UK. For you, living outside the country would mean living somewhere other than Algeria.

You can read it as "Is it better to live in the centre of town, or outside the centre of town - in the country[side]?"

Status
Not open for further replies.