Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
United States
Can we use "love" ,a non continuous verb as a normal verb in the following sentences?

1.I am loving this car ride
2.I am loving Summer here.

How can we know whether a non continuous verb is normal verb or not in a sentence?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In this area, the accepted usage has changed a lot since McDonald's released the "I'm loving it" ad.

Though not accepted by everybody, many consider this construction to be acceptable informally.

A case could be made that "I am loving" something is a bit different from "I love" something, by focusing more on the actual time it is happening.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

The problem with letting publicists loose on English grammar is that you run the risk of losing the original nuances of meaning of what has been taken for use in a nonsense slogan, to wit the OP's question.

For example, the phrase 'He's loving it' would normally mean that he is self-satisfied/gloating/basking in glory/pleased at someone else's misfortune, or any number of other shades thereof. Now, for a whole generation it probably either only evokes McDonald's or is just synonymous with 'he loves it'.

rramu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
United States
How can we know whether a non continuous verb is used as a normal verb in the above sentence or not?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
First, Emsr2d2 is a woman. Second, I am not going to answer any more of your questions as long as you carry that obnoxious signature. Good luck! Were I a moderator here, I would ban you from the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.