Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Speaking about her family, a girl says: I have a family on the other side of the world.

Is it an idiomatic expression used by many or just a phrase this particular girl invented "on the spot"?
If it's an idiom, can it be used for very long distances and is there a "geographical" criteria as to its use?

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I wouldn't use it for north/south differences. I don't think of Canada and Brazil that way.

If it is daytime where you are and it is nighttime where they are, then they are on the other side of the world. The US and China/Japan, for example.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Can I say about a person "He is the other side of the world to me" or somehow else meaning that he is very different from me and I don't understand him and his attitudes/opinions?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is not an idiom, but it is idiomatic English. The uses of the words idiom/idiomatic can be very confusing. The first means something that has a meaning different from what the individual words mean. The second just means "naturally formed".

And I agree with Dave, that we don't normally use this expression for North/South locations. That is probably due to time zones.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Can I say about a person "He is the other side of the world to me" or somehow else meaning that he is very different from me and I don't understand him and his attitudes/opinions?

No, use the phrases that Matthew suggested instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.