• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

which and who

I encountered very uncomfortable problem ! plz help me to figure it out!
    my book said: typical ones, according to writing tutors and officials responsible for discipline at the two schools which described the plagiarism - suggest that many students simply do not grasp that using words they did not write is a serious misdeed

and my instructor said its who instead of "which" : discipline at the two schools who described the plagiarism (o)

but in my understanding, which is fit in this sentence.
    so, my understanding is: 1. those tutors who are responsible for the discipline which describes the plagiarism, suggested that ~~. (not correct??)
    2. at the two schools those tutors who are responsible for the discipline, describing the plagiarism, suggested that ~~. (not correct??)

it also makes sense to me that - 3. those tutors who described the plagiarism and are responsible for discipline, suggested that~~ ( as my instructor said..)

which one is correct??

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: which and who

Quote Originally Posted by songgi89 View Post
    I encountered a very uncomfortable problem! [No space before the exclamation point.] Please [Plz is not a word.] help me to figure it out!
    My [Always capitalize the first letters of first words.] book said: "Typical [Use quotation marks for direct quotes.] ones, according to writing tutors and officials responsible for discipline at the two schools which [In American, we would usually use that, but which is okay.] described the plagiarism - suggest that many students simply do not grasp that using words they did not write is a serious misdeed." [1: End all sentences with a period, exclamation point, or question mark. 2: Periods and commas always go inside quotation marks, never outside. If a question mark or exclamation point is part of the quote, it goes inside the quotation mark. Otherwise, it goes outside.]

And [It's fine to start sentences with And.] my instructor said it's [use an apostrophe to contract it is.] who instead of which [You started by using bold for emphasis, so you should continue to do it the same way throughout your post.]: discipline at the two schools who [No. Use that. A school is not a person. Only people are who. There is only one exception: We use the word whose for both people and things: "...discipline at the two schools whose students plagiarized..." is fine.] described the plagiarism. [Remember your periods!] (o) [I don't know what that is.]

But in my understanding, which fits [This is how we would say it.] this sentence.
    So, my understanding is: 1. Those tutors who are responsible for the discipline which describes the plagiarism, suggested that.... [Not correct. Disciplines do not describe things. They don't have mouths and can't write.]
    2. At the two schools, [Use commas for dependent clauses.] those tutors who are responsible for [No the. It's not a particular discipline, it's discipline in general.] discipline, describing the plagiarism, suggested that.... [Correct!]

It also makes sense to me that - 3. Those tutors who described the plagiarism and are responsible for discipline, suggested that.... [Correct again! Well done!]

Which one is correct? [Just one question mark, please. Save the other one for your next post!
    `
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 11-Aug-2014 at 22:17. Reason: Deleting '=O]'. Please stop doing that, Charlie.