Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello teachers.

I have a question. Can somebody give me a logical explanation as to why people stress the "are" in "How are you?" when you're starting a conversation with someone you haven't met in a while?

I suppose it shows that they are happy to see the person, but is there any grammatical reasoning behind this?

Thank you for your help in advance!

th.19

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is a normal place to put the emphasis. One could put the emphasis on "you" in response to "How are you?"

How are you?
I'm fine, how are you?

th.19

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thank you for your response.

Is there any reasoning as to why "are" is emphasized, or is it just the way it is?
(For example, I understand why "you" would be emphasized if your example above, since they are asking in return to the other person.)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I suppose that, as much as anything, it's because there's no reason to emphasise the other words- we're asking the person, so the pronoun is obvious, and we're not emphasising how because it's the standard word for this question.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The verb is routinely emphasized in short questions like this.
"How/Where are you?", "Where/When is it?"; "How/When/When/Who was it?", "Why didn't you?", etc.
In the progressive tenses and the passive - if there's more to the verb - the stress goes onto the participle or main verb.*
"How/Where are you going?", "Where/When is it happening?"; "How/When/Where was it found?", "Why didn't you come?" etc.

* This is not a rule. It's merely an off-the-cuff description of the examples I've given.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Good question!

Sometimes we stress the are when we know that the friend has had difficulties - like job loss, divorce, the death of a loved one, or sickness. It shows that we have some kind of genuine concern: "Juanita, I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. How are you?"

But not always! It can also express excitement - especially when we haven't seen someone in a long time: "Henry! It's been years! How are you?"

th.19

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I am terribly sorry for my reply. Thank you to all the teachers that gave me answers to my question!

Status
Not open for further replies.