Student or Learner
Native Language
Azerbaijani
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Iran
"Who's sock-puppet are you anyway?"
Hi every body, I was in a one site and one person tell me above sentence, could you mean that for me? Also I have a many problem with understanding general USA peoples idioms....What can I do for myself? What would I do for understanding very soon and mastering in English talking? very thanks you.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Your earlier posts show that you are able to use correct capitalisation and punctuation, ali.metal.

Please use the Edit Post button to make the necessary corrections and tell us where you encountered this question.

ali.metal

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Azerbaijani
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Iran
I edit my post please help me. I think I have a very hard way to mastering in English mastering.:-|

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have edited my post. Please help me. [strike]I think I have a very hard way to mastering in English mastering.[/strike]:-|

See above. You are trying to write sentences which are too difficult for your level. Your last sentence should have been something like "I think I am going to find it very hard to master English", but you are not ready for sentences like that yet.

Rover asked you to tell us where you saw that sentence about the sock-puppet.

To help us understand your difficulties, can you give us some information about your English learning experience? Did you start learning English in Turkey (your home country)? Were you taught by a native speaker or by a Turkish person, or even by an Azerbaijani person (your native language)? Are you taking formal classes in Iran, where you now live?

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

"Whose sock-puppet are you anyway?"

In an internet context a "sock-puppet" is usually someone who posts about themselves while pretending to be somebody else, or who pretends to be a neutral in a situation when in fact they are representing a particular person or organization. The person who asked you this question has probably assumed that you are posting in a deceptive way similar to these examples.
An actual sock-puppet is, of course, a type of hand-puppet using a sock. You could search "sock-puppet image" to see examples.

Last edited:

ali.metal

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Azerbaijani
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Iran
See above. You are trying to write sentences which are too difficult for your level. Your last sentence should have been something like "I think I am going to find it very hard to master English", but you are not ready for sentences like that yet.

Rover asked you to tell us where you saw that sentence about the sock-puppet.

To help us understand your difficulties, can you give us some information about your English learning experience? Did you start learning English in Turkey (your home country)? Were you taught by a native speaker or by a Turkish person, or even by an Azerbaijani person (your native language)? Are you taking formal classes in Iran, where you now live?

Hi and thanks, I already live in Iran and were have a many formal classes but I don't know why everything that I learn isn't applicable.
I mention that in first post. I see sock-puppet in on thread post. What could I do for my English level?
Please help me

ali.metal

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Azerbaijani
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Iran
not a teacher

"Whose sock-puppet are you anyway?"

In an internet context a "sock-puppet" is usually someone who posts about themselves while pretending to be somebody else, or who pretends to be a neutral in a particular situation when in fact they are representing a particular person or organization. The person who asked you this question has probably assumed that you are posting in a deceptive way similar to these examples.
An actual sock-puppet is, of course, a type of hand-puppet using a sock. You could search "sock-puppet image" to see examples.

Very thanks you that's right, but I have a problem with get a communication with native American peoples. Do you have any advice about it? I don't understand what they say at many times. And can't have a response for them. What should I do?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Very thanks you that's right, but I have a problem with get a communication with native American peoples. Do you have any advice about it? I don't understand what they say at many times. And can't have a response for them. What should I do?

I think you probably have a problem communicating with any native English speaker. For example, you wrote "Very thanks you". It is very basic English to know that you should say "Thank you very much".

The only answer for you is that you must study. You must take classes from a good teacher and study a lot in your own time. You need to practice, practice, practice. You also need to go back to the beginning of your English study and really learn the basics. Speak and write simple sentences. Do exercises at home. Try to find a language exchange group or a native speaker who is happy to meet you for about 30 minutes and speak English with you.

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Hi ems;

How can I take classes from a good teacher, please?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Find a good teacher and ask them to teach you English!

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia

If I replaced the preposition from by with, would the meaning change, please?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Status
Not open for further replies.