Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
What word/idiom do you use to refer to a person who puts off making decisions and doing things until the eleventh hour?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
A procrastinator.

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia

Hi.:-D

That word is polysyllabic, I think. To me, it is so difficult to either spell or pronounce.
:oops: I would like to see a short, simple one.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Odessa Dawn:

1. I agree that it's diifficult to spell. When I read the title of the thread, I immediately thought of the word, but I was NOT able to spell it until I read the moderator's answer.

2. Of course, I checked Google and found many synonyms.

a. There is a problem, however.

i. Sometimes there is no really good synonym for a word.

3, I did find one that you might consider:

Manager: I need this report researched and typed up in 24 hours. I'm thinking about asking James to do the work.

Secretary: Well, sir. May I respectfully suggest another employee?

Manager: Why? James seems very nice.

Secretary: Oh, yes! He is, indeed. But let's just say that he is a bit of a slowpoke.

Manager: I didn't know that he is a procrastinator!

I found an article on the Web by Ms. Susan C. Bakos. It was entitled "Handling Procrastinators [at work]." She then writes: "Poor supervisory style [bad managers] is not always the culprit [the blame] behind slowpokes."

Although "procrastinator" and "slowpoke" are NOT always EXACTLY the same in meaning, I think that it is a simpler word that I can recommend to you. In my OPINION, it is also a little gentler and kinder than "procrastinator." If you called someone a "procrastinator," s/he might be offended. The word "slowpoke" -- in my opinion -- is a bit more friendly and even humorous.

James

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think "slowpoke" and "procrastinator" are synonyms. Someone who is slow is different from someone who does nothing and then suddenly engages.

A procrastinator may be very fast and very good at his work, but just be unmotivated.

Status
Not open for further replies.