Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Please help me correct the following paragraph. Thanks!

For another thing, the use of one-time-use products such as disposable wood or bamboo chopsticks is widely seen as a waste of limited resources. According to a study, China’s disposable chopstick addiction is destroying its forests. As a result, severe deforestation has become one of China's gravest environmental problems. This widespread use of disposable chopsticks has proved detrimental for the environment.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I see no specifically grammatical problem, though from an environmental point of view I'd question the use of 'widely seen'. ;-)

b

Ashiuhto

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
What is the better expression of 'widely seen'?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't mind "one-time-use/one-time use" but I'd probably refer to them as "single-use".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I was going to suggest that too but the word "disposable" appears four words later in the original piece.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I would use second-hand before pre-used, regardless of usage patterns, and one-time-use seems to be up there in the terrible terminology that I won't adopt category. I could settle on single-use, but creating euphemisms beyond that is an exercise that strikes me as pointless.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I can't say I like 'one-time use', but it seems to me there is a distinction to be made between 'single use' (example - paper underwear) and 'one-time use' (example a ring-pull can, or a fuse wire - which is designed to fail once and only once (failing in a predictable way is its job).

Ashiuto: As I said, I was making a point about the environment (not to be pursued here - but worth describing, so that the point I'm making about semantics comes across). To say something is 'widely seen as X' suggests that there is a (sane) alternative view - so that you could say 'which are widely seen as an X, although the NNN see them as a Y'. '[D]isposable wood or bamboo chopsticks' just are a waste of limited resources. What could be said is that not everyone recognizes or cares about this. So if you want a participle in your sentence you could say '..., which are widely recognized to be a waste...'

b

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The chopsticks piece is for a school competition. Getting us to rewrite it is cheating.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.