[General] What kind of accent do I have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gladigator

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
United States
Hey guys, recently I have been getting a lot of mixed feedback about my English accent so I thought I would ask the UsingEnglish community about their opinion! I uploaded a short recording (below) so let me know what you think!! A little background about myself: I'm Egyptian, but I have been to American schools throughout my life. Fluent in English and Arabic, and studied French for five years. I live in Arizona, btw.

Here's the link!

https://soundcloud.com/randomuzer/boredomlogy-biology-accent

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
Welcome to the forum.

Really interesting to hear what native speakers have to say :)
Your accent sounds to me like that standard flat American accent and had you not disclosed your background, I would probably say that you were raised in a bilingual family. But I have just been in the US for two years and cannot claim to be an expert at this.

Out of my interest, at what age did you move to the US and how many years have you lived here?

P.S. I like to read about this wonderful state of Arizona.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It sounds like non-native AmE to me.

Gladigator

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
United States
Welcome to the forum.

Really interesting to hear what native speakers have to say :)
Your accent sounds to me like that standard flat American accent and had you not disclosed your background, I would probably say that you were raised in a bilingual family. But I have just been in the US for two years and cannot claim to be an expert at this.

Out of my interest, at what age did you move to the US and how many years have you lived here?

P.S. I like to read about this wonderful state of Arizona.

Thanks Alex! I moved to the US when I was 17 and have been here for 8 years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.