Are they meeting today? Do they meet today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Is this sentence natural: Are they meeting today?
Which is more natural: Do they meet today? or Are they meeting today?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Both are natural, and they mean the same thing.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, EnglishHobby:

Teachers always remind us that context is king in English. That is to say, everything depends on the particular situation.

So I believe that MAYBE (for at least some speakers) there could be a slight difference sometimes.

James (telephones City Hall, the building where the city leaders work): Does the board meet today? [referring to a permanent situation]. I know that it meets once a week, but I keep forgetting on which day.

Telephone operator: No, sir. It doesn't. Today is Wednesday. The board always meets on Mondays, not on Wednesdays.

James: Oh, that's right. Now I remember. Sorry to bother you.

Mona: I know that the board always meets on Mondays and that this is only Wednesday, but I heard on the news last night that the board was thinking about meeting today, too. Is the board meeting today? [referring to a temporary situation]

Telephone operator: Yes, ma'am. It is meeting at this very moment. [referring to an action in progress.] It will last for one more hour.

Mona: Thanks. I'll hurry down to City Hall because I have some business to discuss with the board members.

Sources: Michael Swan, Practical English Usage (1995); Walter Kay Smart, English Review Grammar (1940; copyright renewed in 1968).

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I quite agree with the Parser in this question.

"Do they meet today" would refer to a recurring situation.

A: Is the Board meeting today?
B: They meet every other Friday, unless it's the fifth Friday of the month.
A: Oh, so do they meet today?
B: Um, let's see. It's certainly Friday, and... it's the fourth Friday of the month, so yeah, they do.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Sorry for boostering this thread again. Just a follow-up question:
He gets back tomorrow/He arrives tomorrow is quite a natural phrase in English, isn't it? (as I've been told in this forum before). But I don't think he gets back regularly, only tomorrow. Still, we use the present simple (and it's even preferrable). Why?
Maybe here we have a situation closer to timetables and schedules where the present simple is normally used?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We're not using the present simple to refer to a habitual action in "He gets back tomorrow". We're using it to refer to the future.

It's nearly time for my holiday.
Ooh, lucky you. When do you go?
I go next Tuesday! I'm so excited.

I have a four-day conference in Berlin next month.
When is it?
Let me see. I go on Monday the fifteenth and I get back on Saturday the twentieth. The conference is Tuesday to Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.