Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello,

I came across the following sentence in an article titled "Why We Can No Longer Trust Microsoft" on the pcmag website.

"[FONT=open_sansregular]If Microsoft thinks it can ignore what is happening by [/FONT][FONT=open_sansregular]whistling in the graveyard[/FONT][FONT=open_sansregular], it is in for a big surprise. The investors will be the first to get a clue, and the customers will follow."[/FONT]

I looked up the meaning of 'whistling in the graveyard' on Google, by entering 'meaning whistling in the graveyard'. The search results returned - 'whistling past the graveyard'. One of the search result entries is from usingenglish.com:
"
If someone is whistling past the graveyard, they are trying to remain cheerful in difficult circumstances. ('Whistling past the cemetery' is also used.)"

Now I understand the meaning. My question is - is 'whistling in the graveyard' used in some places, perhaps in BrE?

Thank you

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Both expressions are unknown to this BrE speaker.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Whistling past the graveyard is more common in AmE.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I wasn't familiar with it either.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Anyone who ever thought we could trust Microsoft is an idiot. Having said that, I agree with Mike: whistling "past" is more common.

And I think it is an Americanism.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This BrE speaker has never heard of either. I rather like them though. Perhaps the writer used "in the graveyard" because they feel that Microsoft is even closer to "death" than just walking past the graveyard - they are actually inside it.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

I've read the expression "whistling past the graveyard", but never heard anyone say it. I'm sure I've heard "whistling in the dark", which can have the same meaning of adopting a nonchalant attitude in an unsettling situation.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's a common expression for me. With "past," that is. I think someone here simply doesn't know the correct expression.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think JMurray's idea that mixing two phrases is behind the mistake is likely.

Olympian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I think JMurray's idea that mixing two phrases is behind the mistake is likely.

Sort of like Indians (and some British) people (persons?) mixing the AmE and BrE pronunciation of 'schedule'. (They say 'skey-dule' instead of 'shey-dule' or 'skey-jule' - sorry, not sure how to accurately write the pronunciation). ;-)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's easy to mix up idioms, especially ones that are used rarely. If I use an idiom that I haven't used for years, I may be unsure about the wording. Today I heard a Senegalese politician, a very fluent speaker, say that it was opening a worm can, instead of a can of worms. This sort of thing is easy to do. You half remember two idioms you haven't used for ages and blur them. As you can see from the responses above,the whistling past the graveyard idiom is not common.

With your example, there is so much mixing of variants now through increased contact that features pass over, often unnoticed.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Sort of like Indian (and some British) people [STRIKE](persons?)[/STRIKE] mixing the AmE and BrE pronunciation of 'schedule'. (They say 'sked-yule' instead of 'shed-yule') ;-)
`

Status
Not open for further replies.