Can you say: Attached you'll find the continuation of August 20th Order Invoices, pl

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B45

Can you say:

Attached (to this email) you'll find the continuation of August 20th Order Invoices, please print them out and take them to USPS.

What does this sentence mean? Does it make sense?

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello!

This is a kind of run-on sentence called a comma splice. So, it is not grammatically correct but people use comma splices all the time, and it is not a very bad grammar violation, usually.

The way attached is used here is also okay, because it is very common to use that word in this way when referring to an email attachment.

But let's make it a little clearer:
Attached (to this email) you'll find the continuation of the August 20th order invoices. Please print...--- I removed some capital letters because they were used unnecessarily, and I also added the word 'the'.

: )

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I disagree about the comma splice. It can be acceptable in two very short clauses that are closely related. In this case, the comma splice is clearly incorrect and should be avoided.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would not understand what a "continuation" of an invoice is.
Assuming I did, "Please print the attached continuation of the August 20 Order Invoices and mail them [to whom?]" is all you need.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm with Mike on this one. I'd have made it two sentences. But it's not a big deal. It will make sense either way.

How about getting rid of those parentheses? They don't add or change the meaning of the sentences. Even the phrase to this email is unneeded. If it's an email, what else would the document be attached to?

Status
Not open for further replies.