Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hey, first of all thanks in advance for any help! I have a query regarding the use of derivatives of the word transcendence.

I am trying to understand using the the word in multiple contexts, of which i am trying to describe physical and mental training beyond the normal level a human is capable of.

I have three possibilities:
  • Transcendence training
  • Transcendent training
  • Transcendental training

The latter two are adjectives but even knowing that i am struggling to apply these examples.

My best guess is, if it was the name of a training program it would be Transcendence training and if i was describing a type of training i would use one of the latter two, probably transcendental training. However im very unsure about this.

Any attempts to clear this up for me would be greatly appreciated!

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hey, first of all thanks in advance for any help! I have a query regarding the use of derivatives of the word transcendence.

I am trying to understand using the the word in multiple contexts, of which I am trying to describe physical and mental training beyond the normal level a human is capable of.

I have three possibilities:
  • Transcendence training = Training that teaches people how to transcendence.
  • Transcendent training = Training that rises above other teaching programs.
  • Transcendental training = Training that opens new horizons.

The latter two are adjectives but even knowing that i am struggling to apply these examples.

My best guess is, if it was the name of a training program it would be Transcendence training and if i was describing a type of training I would use one of the latter two, probably transcendental training. However im very unsure about this.

Any attempts to clear this up for me would be greatly appreciated!

And what we're trying to understand is why is an English speaker is using an ESL forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

jonnyl12

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
And what we're trying to understand is why is an English speaker is using an ESL forum.

Apologies, must have 'forgotten' to read the forum rules/structure. As for the patronizing tone and capitalization correction, you missed one 'i' on the 8th line :up:.

Regardless, thank you for clearing it up.

Last edited by a moderator:

lotus888

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In this forum, correcting punctuation/spelling in the question is normal. Errors by the teachers/contributors are also normal.

I thought we welcomed all questions.

Questions are free. Answers are $5 each. :)

--lotus

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Transcendence training = Training that teaches people how to transcendence.
Surely you meant "how to transcend".

Status
Not open for further replies.