Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
1.Receiving an excellent performance evaluation, Mr. Thompson will be promoted to general manager this spring.

2.Having received an excellent performance evaluation, Mr. Thompson will be promoted to general manager this spring.

I don't see the much difference between these two sentences above. actually I personally think either way is just okay.
still, some of my friends say that 'Receiving an excellent performance eval*uation' is more correct than 'Having received'
but I reckon using '
Having received' is an better way for this sentence. so please explain which one is correct and why XD
this is my first posting here:-D thank you in advance:up:

Last edited:

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello, Tott Tot. :)
Welcome to UsingEnglish.com.
Why did you place an asterisk there? What does XD stand for?

Edit: The 'XD' could be an emoticon.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Why does your post contain "eval*uation" three times? I see no need for the asterisk. We usually use it to replace a single letter in a swear word.

Tott Tot

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
yes, XD is a smiling emoticon. and i don't understand why the asterisks appeared there.....it just happened

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please click on Edit Post and remove the asterisks, then click Save.

XD is not an emoticon to be used here. We have our own. Please click on the :) icon in the toolbar and select the appropriate emoticon.

Tott Tot

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I am sorry. I did not know the exact rules. so ...I did what you said and corrected errors.
now may I get some information about my original question? :-D

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Tott Tot: Here is some information that may interest you.

1. "Completing their business, the committee voted to adjourn."

2. "Having completed their business, the committee voted to adjourn. "My book says that both sentences are correct. It explains that when the times expressed in the -ing word and in the main verb refer to ABOUT the same time, then the "present tense [-ing] of the participle is generally used instead of the perfect [having + past participle]." So probably most people would be more comfortable with #1, but #2 is grammatically correct, too.

3. This sentence is wrong: "Working in every capacity from janitor to vice president, the new president is the best trained man the company has ever had in that office." a. It should be "Having worked" because you are expressing a time BEFORE he became the new president.

4. In my OPINION, I agree with you that "having received" is better. That is to say, maybe Mr. Thompson received an excellent evaluation in January, and he was promoted in April. a. It seems to me that the use of "receiving" seems to give the idea that he received an excellent evaluation at 4 p.m. and was promoted at 4:15 p.m.! Credit for the information in sentences #1 -3 goes to Professors Pence and Emery in their A Grammar of Present-Day English (second edition).

James

Last edited by a moderator:

Tott Tot

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thank you, The praser. wow...actually this was my first time posting here. so I could not expect this great explanation. thank you for your delicate explanation. thank you for sharing your precious information with me. it is night here. so....good night.:up:

Status
Not open for further replies.