Are my writing skills supbar or good? Do I have any potential?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azera

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
Sweden
So... I'm writing my first script ever, and since I barely read any books I have no clue as to how good I actually am at writing. I am 19-years-old and English isn't my mother-tongue. Can I ever become a good writer?

FADE IN:

EXT. THE PEACEFUL GRASSLANDS - DAWN

Against the canvas of the cloudless bright orange sky, a majestic WHITE EAGLE beats its wings. It lets out a squeaking cry as it ascends and then drops into a gliding stance.

Mithayas Sagewhisper (S.O.)

For you, this is an endless vista of beauty wrapping the fruitful grasslands. For me, it is far more.

These lands are old and ancient. Their history far exceeds the dusty scrolls in the Halls of Wisdom. One could not fathom the rivers of blood that has dredged the soil on these grounds. So much conflict and bloodshed shaped by the animosity of man. Bloodied and battered, men stood here as the bulwark of their beliefs.

EAGLE'S POV:

The eagle peacefully glides north towards the snow-capped mountaintops of Qutza in Arctic Ridge.

Mithayas Sagewhisper (O.S.)

Bloodied and battered they stood adamant side by side with their brothers on these very grounds waving their banners, hoping it was their last march into battle. ..

The footsteps of your forebears shaped the rugged passes in those mountains. Oh, the history of these lands is vibrant, so vivid that one can almost hear the battle cries echo off the steep mountainside.

AGLE'S POV:

As the eagle makes a smooth turn gliding towards the barren Dryland Steppes in the west, a strong reflection of the quiet river Indo dims its sight.

ithayas Sagewhisper (O.S.)

What lies ahead is the Dryland Steppes. Once a fruitful region inhabited by farmers... No one really knows what happened here. One day a very sudden and mysterious climate change hit this land, and since then it has been plagued by the evergrowing drought that now overwhelms most parts of it.

The eagle circles the barren fields, and then flaps its tremendous white wings and gains momentum as it falls into a gliding stance back eastward towards the Peaceful Grasslands. It stops by the river Indo, finally coming to rest atop the steel bastion of the oak bridge.

Mithayas Sagewhisper (O.S.)

A long forgotten benefactor built this steel-fortified oak bridge as the only connection between Dryland Steppes and the mainland for the settlers who chose to emigrate as the land turned barren.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think that there are too many adjectives and adverbs- if you overload a text with such words, I think it can be a bit counter-productive as it doesn't always help the reader build up a picture in their head.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I understood this to be a film script, ie. there's no reader - only a viewer seeing the eagle and hearing the voice-over.

Azera

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
Sweden
I think that there are too many adjectives and adverbs- if you overload a text with such words, I think it can be a bit counter-productive as it doesn't always help the reader build up a picture in their head.

Do you have any specific examples?

Azera

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
Sweden
Yes, precisely. The director, however, has to understand what he's supposed to film and how the landscape is supposed to look.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can you tell us what "supbar" means (in your title)?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sure you have potential. But you have to be willing to learn. For example an eagle that is standing still (stance) cannot be gliding at the same time. Also, "old" and "ancient" mean the same thing.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Reading books won't help you write a good film script or screenplay. The writing in one genre is very different from the writing in another. If you wan't to get a good grasp of script-writing, read scripts, not books.

Status
Not open for further replies.