Student or Learner
I often come across sentences/phrases such as:
- relations between words within the sentence
- medium of instruction in the ESL classroom
- Use of humour in the science classroom
The definite article 'the' is often employed to refer to specific entity. In the above examples (and many more out there I'm sure), the use seems to be a generic one. I am quite sure they aren't referring to a specific thing.
What are the differences then if I rewrite them in the following ways, all of which expressing non-specific referents?
- relations between words within a sentence / relations between words within sentences
- medium of instruction in an ESL classroom / ....... ESL classrooms
- ........ in a science classroom / ....... science classrooms
Thanks a billion!