• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

hit YouTube

Please help me correct the sentences. Thanks! (#2 is extracted/rewritten from an article of a blog)

1. I enjoy watching Korean soap operas. People around me, including my family, classmates, friends and teachers, are mostly also addicted to watching Korean dramas.
    2. When “Gangnam Style” by Psy hit YouTube like a tsunami, we were surprised to discover how popular Korean music and dramas are in Taiwan, Asia, Japan, America and many parts of the world.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: hit YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Ashiuhto View Post
    Please help me correct the sentences. Thanks! (#2 is extracted/rewritten from an article of a blog)

1. I enjoy watching Korean soap operas. People around me, including my family, classmates, friends and teachers, are mostly also addicted to watching Korean dramas.
    2. When “Gangnam Style” by Psy hit YouTube like a tsunami, we were surprised to discover how popular Korean music and dramas are in Taiwan, Asia, Japan, America and many other parts of the world.
    Now it's perfect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Ashiuhto:

Here are my suggestions:

1. I really enjoy watching Korean soap operas. Most of my family, friends, teachers, and classmates are also addicted to these dramas.

2. When "Gangnam Style" by Psy hit YouTube like a tsunami, we were surprised to discover how popular Korean music and dramas are throughout the world.

NOTES:

1. I personally felt more comfortable placing "classmates" in last place.
    2. Maybe you could find another simile than "tsunami." Because of the tsunami a few years ago in a certain country, some people might be slightly offended by that word.
    3. I think that it is not a good idea to mix things in a list. That is to say, you listed Asia (a continent) along with Japan (a country). I think that you could have said something like: "We were surprised to discover how popular Korean music and dramas are in Asia, Europe, North America, and other continents" or "We were surprised to discover how popular Korean music and dramas are in Japan, India, France, and other countries."

James
    Last edited by TheParser; 31-Aug-2014 at 01:22. Reason: I changed "metaphor" to "simile."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

TheParser is right. Don't compare Taiwan and Asia (or Japan and Asia). That's comparing a country to a continent. Rather, say something like: China, Asia, Japan, etc.