A british or american idiomatic equivalent needed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

liver_function

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi everybody. I am new here. Perhaps someone can help translating a well-known russian idiomatic expression into english...

Translated literally, it goes like this: "running around like an idiot with a painted bucket" ( or, "a painted bag", rather).

It means - someone is really excited about something insignificant and silly like a "painted bucket", making a big deal out of an object, overvaluing something and making a fool of yourself in doing so.

What do you think is the closest? Someone suggested the chicken with its head cut off, but that is not even close.. The point of the saying is not to scold for erratic or frenzied behaviour, but to point out undue excitement about an unworthy object ( or a person, or a pursuit)...

THANK YOU!
LF

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I actually think that it's not a bad suggestion if you want to translate it with an idiom. If you supply what it is that is causing them to do this, then it could work. You can use headless chicken for being extremely busy or very excited- it doesn't have to be critical or scolding. You could use like a kid with a new toy, but that would also work for other contexts, so it isn't exact either.

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In America we say "like a kid in a candy store." But the emphasis in that expression is on the kid's unrestrained delight and inability to choose rather than on the manic behaviour. And also, the kid is not wrong.

Doug Mazzacua

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think that we have a precise equivalent to that expression in English, but "He's living in a fool's paradise" comes pretty close.

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
The original idiom makes me think of 'making a fuss [of it]' or 'being obsessed [with it]' (in both cases 'it' meaning something not worth so much attention) but neither is an idiom. 'A bee in one's bonnet' maybe?

Alicya

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
UK
Hello,

Maybe this British idiom is more appropriate "make a song and dance about something". As far as I know it means to make a big deal out of something which is not that important.

Cheers!
[h=4][/h]

Status
Not open for further replies.