[Vocabulary] What does the word "snort" mean in this sentence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angie8

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
What does the word "snort" mean in the sentence below? In another English-Chinese translation forum, we have an argument that it could mean "inhale" or "exhale". It's quite hard to find an equivalent word in Chinese for translation because "snort" seems to have both meanings when looking it up in the dictionary.

"That's what makes writers who can deliver fascinating stories from around the world while making us snort our cardamom chai through our noses such treasured commodities."

Original article is from here: http://www.ktvz.com/lifestyle/travel/15-funniest-travel-books-ever-in-english/27817740

Thank you for your help in advance.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Resort to dictionaries should be sufficient to resolve this one. A snort is a short sharp non-verbal sound, usually used to express indignation or surprise. Whether it is produced by inspiration or expiration makes no difference at all.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If I had to choose one, I would go for the exhale through the nose one- when people talk like this, they often mean that they are so shocked or amused that they spray liquid over their keyboard.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Angie:

1. I had to mentally change the sentence to better understand it: Writers are treasured commodities if they can deliver fascinating stories from around the story while making us snort our cardamom chia through our noses.

2. And I had to google to learn what "cardamom chia" is.

3. If I were taking a test and had to choose an answer, I would probably choose "INhale."

4. Here is my reasoning:

a. All dictionaries agree that "snort" is an informal verb that means to inhale certain (often illegal) drugs.

b. In case of tourists, they are NOT (of course!) getting pleasure by snorting illegal drugs, but those fascinating stories are making those tourists snort their tea.

c. Maybe we should not take that sentence too literally. In fact, the verb "snort" in that sentence seems to have the sense of "to smell with great delight."

James

P.S. If you find the answer, please let us know.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have to disagree, Parser. I don't think anyone is inhaling tea like it is illegal drugs.

I think the idea is that someone is enjoying a cup of tea when they are so amused that they laugh so hard that the tea comes out of their nose. Exhale.

Angie8

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I agree with your answer. But it seems more readers believe it means "exhale," that's why we're having an argument in another forum. And I think we won't be able to find the "correct answer" until we can find out the author and ask him :)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The word itself allows for ambiguity, so it is impossible to say without hearing from the author, but the way I have seen this sentence used, and it does appear in online comments, is as exhale, which gets my vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.